Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijack This log

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 C52

C52

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

I cannot remember what I was trying to look up Saturday night, but suddenly my PC went crazy. "Get answers fast" and other search pages began popping up along with error messages. Then my task bar at the bottom was full of error messages. I quickly shut down things, then restarted in safe mode with networking. I ran Malwarebytes, SUPERAntispyware, and Spybot search and destroy. Also, I paid for a year's version of SUPERAntivirusSpyware. I think it was Malwarebytes that said it found several trojans then removed them, but the redirects to other pages continued. Also, Internet Explorer suddenly began to stop working. I decided to restore things back to several days before, which I accomplished, but I guess it didn't help matters. I went on to update my Vista and PC, and also I downloaded and began using Firefox. I have CA free version installed for antivirus. None of my programs seem to detect whatever it is that is causing this, but it is still happening. Also , today I received two warnings about the blue screen of death after my PC shut down when I left it sitting for a few minutes. This happened twice while my PC was up and running. I am working a lot so don't have a lot of time, but was hoping the "Hijack this" log will be sufficient to help someone to see my problem and give me advice what to do. In over 12 years, this is only the 2nd time this has ever happened to me. Last time, Malwarebytes cleared it up, but not this time! Thanks so much...in advance!!

Attached Files

Edited by C52, 11 October 2011 - 11:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 52,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:28 AM

Hello ,
And :welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum
. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.

Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.
  • The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen.
  • Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic.
  • The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.
  • Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.
You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.
-----------------------------------------------------------

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
If you have already posted a log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

-------------------------------------------------------------
In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem

If you still need help, please include the following in your next reply
  • A detailed description of your problems
  • A new DDS log (don't forget attach.txt)

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hello ,
And :welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum
. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

-------------------------------------------------------------
In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem

If you still need help, please include the following in your next reply
  • A detailed description of your problems
  • A new DDS log (don't forget attach.txt)

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

#4 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

When I downloaded the DDS.scr file, it says it is a screensaver. I just wanted to be sure I am downloading the correct file. It also said it was from an unknown publisher so I just wanted to be sure that it is safe. Thanks and sorry for the questions but I know that unscrupulous people probably visit this site too.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 52,370 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:03 AM

That is okay, it has indeed the .scr extension, this is normal.
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

#6 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

Earlier today my SUPERAntispyware began to say that some trojan was trying to install to my PC. Right after this infection began (like about the time I posted this message here), I bought the year's paid version so I would have real time protection. I am not sure if it blocked the trojan or not. Suddenly everything I had up (like 6 tabs were open) closed and then a lot of my desktop icons disappeared. I don't have a recycle bin, documents, my computer and not sure which other icons disappeared from my desktop. Also, when this infection began, I had to download Firefox because IE kept stopping and restarting. I am not sure what I was looking at when all this occurred and I am not sure how I managed to even get this on my PC. I have antivirus and other things installed on my PC that I thought would protect me. This is the first time this has happened to me since I have been a PC user beginning in 1999. I sure hope you can help me because I need my PC really badly as I am a sub teacher and use it for work. This is really causing me a lot of grief. Thanks so much in advance. The DDS log is so huge that I am going to have to do it in parts and I am not even sure that I can figure out where I left off when I pasted one section to notepad. I need to go back and paste the 2nd part. I assume it is bad because of the size and all the exe. files I see. I have a lot of photos on my PC, and if I have to reformat, I want to at least know how to save those. And I have quite a lot of Word docs that I hope I can save. I have Windows 7 brand new ready to install but I have not previously done that because I wanted to reformat, and I have not had the time to back up everything to do so. Well, even the first part was too big. So I am hoping you can look at just this first portion that I again broke into sections and tell me where to start. Attached File  DDS smaller.txt   105.86KB   1 downloads

I can't find where I stopped so that I can paste some more of the txt. Please advise!

Edited by C52, 17 October 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 52,370 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:48 AM

No worries, leave it for now. Lets see what the following removes. The log may be quite long. If so, upload it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=105

COMBOFIX
---------------
Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
Bleepingcomputer
ForoSpyware
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on Combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, or if you are running Vista, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\Combofix.txt in your next reply.
regards, Elise

banner.png

#8 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

I attempted to run Combofix with no success, even in safe mode. I know I have the Cloud Prptection or whatever it's called. I looked it up and know it is malware. I read to run Malwarebytes, which I have ran several times since this all began. I have not had any success getting rid of it using Spybot, Malwarebytes, or SUPERAntispyware. However, since I ran the DDS thing and found so many exe files, I ran Malwarebytes again and this time it has found about 20,000+ problems. I just don't won't to tell it to fix everything until I at least try and backup my photos. But I don't want a virus to get onto my external drives so I have not hooked them up. They have not been hooked up in weeks, so they were not hooked up when this attack happened. Please advise...should I try and back up photos and docs and my music before having Malwarebytes fix things or should I be ok? Anything I can do to minimize the chance that important things are removed that might keep me from starting my PC again? I believe there is a good site online where you can keep data for about $60 per year, and just a few days ago, I saw an advertisement on TV about it where they are having a 2 week free trial. If anyone knows the name, could you let me know it and would/should I try and backup my docs, music and photos to this site before allowing Malwarebytes to fix everything? I just found the name of the backup site; it is Carbonite. There are quite a few listed in the article
http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2010/08/17-best-online-file-storage-to-keep-your-files-safe-and-always-accessible.html if anyone has an idea of the best one. I just checked the results of the Malwarebytes scan and here are the things listed: Backdoor Bot (and it is listed many, many times), Trojan.FakeAl (and then I cannot read the rest, it just has little dots instead of the rest of the name), TrojanSpyeyes, Pum.Hijack.Sta (and I can't see the rest of the name), and Pum.Hijack.Dis and I can't see the rest of its name either. Hope this helps to determine if I can just remove these! Thanks!!!

Edited by C52, 18 October 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 52,370 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hi, if MBAM detected the items, you can let it remove them. Upload the log when done.
regards, Elise

banner.png

#10 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

The MBAM file was too large to post here also, so I sent it to the link you gave me above:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=105 Thanks again for all your help! I hope this nightmare is almost over! I am still at loss as to how I even got this on my PC. I have CA antivirus and I don't go too many places online. As I said before, this is the first time something like this has happened to my PC since I began using a computer in 1999. I would like to know how to make sure it does not happen again. I did not download anything and thought my setting were such that the search page could not be changed nor could anything be downloaded without my consent. I recently read about a new antivirus that was supposed to be really lite on your PC resources and was doing quite a good job with protecting one's PC. Well, when I say recently, I suppose it was about a year and a half ago, maybe a bit longer. It was a new to the market though and previewed by either PC Magazine or maybe PC World. I would definitely like to change my antivirus.

#11 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

Here is the new MBAM log after it removed everything and I rebooted:
Attached File  mbam-log-2011-10-19 (18-41-32) 2nd.txt   914bytes   0 downloads
When I get back from the store and after dinner, I will try again to do the DDS log. It will probably be much smaller now.

#12 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Not sure if this will work or not. The DDS said to attach one and zip one but I am not sure I am doing the right one. Well, the one that said attach would not attach. I don't know why. I saved it to my desktop and tried to attach it and it says that the upload failed. Ok, I finally got it to work. I refreshed the page and it worked this time. Also, I cannot find many of my icons that were on my desktop. Missing icons: My documents (or maybe just my docs, I can't remember), My computer, recycle bin, and I am not sure which other ones are missing. I cannot figure out how to find my documents to see if my photos are there. I had those in the Pictures folder, and I had music in the music folder. Also my Office 2002 links are missing, along with the control panel and other links to folders. Not sure if I mentioned this in the beginning, but I have Vista Home version 64 bit on my PC. Please help! Thanks so much in advance!!

Attached Files

Edited by C52, 19 October 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#13 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

Sorry to add another log here, but just in the hour or so I was on here since Malwarebytes just removed all the malware and stuff, my browser began to be redirected again. I ran Malwarebytes again and it found the same trojans again but only 13 this time instead of some 20,000 like last time. Here is the log after I removed these the 2nd time.

Attached Files

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 52,370 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

Can you try once again to run combofix? You also have a rootkit on board, which needs to be removed.

If it will not run, please describe what happens.
regards, Elise

banner.png

#15 C52

C52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

At first I had some problems running it and finally it began. It said it couldn't run or continue or something similar because of CA antivirus. I tried to disable it but there was no icon for it and I could not get into the control panel because it is missing from my start menu. A lot of things are missing. Anyway, while I was trying to find a way to get to the add/remove programs in Vista, it continued on anyway. Here is the log that came up. It rebooted itself while I was out of the room and when it came back up, it was not in safe mode. The instructions on ComboFix said do not run any programs until it was finished. Well, SUPERAntispyware popped up and updated. I kept trying to cancel the update but I couldn't. After it updated, I terminated the program. Attached is the log. Thanks sooo much!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users