Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragmenter will not run

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

I tried to defragment my computer's hard drive today and got the following message:

Windows cannot finish defragmenting this drive because it has encountered a problem. Click Help and carry out the instructions for running ScanDisk, and then try defragmenting again.
ID No: DEFRAG00205

When I click on Help, it tells me to run a thorough scan using ScanDisk. This scan shows no errors. The computer is running Windows 98SE.

Edited by lti, 03 October 2011 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

The Windows ME defragmenter works, so the original defragmenter might be corrupt. I will try to replace the original file from the CD or my other computer running Windows 98. The ME defragmenter doesn't do a good job.

Edit: After the ME defragmenter ran, the original defragmenter started working. That is strange.

Edited by lti, 03 October 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

I've said the WinME defrag works faster than the Win98 defrag. If you have the Win98 CD you can extract defrag.exe from one of the cab files with WinZip if you really think its corrupt but I would stick with the WinME version if I were you?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

The ME defragmenter doesn't work as well.

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

What do you mean it doesn't work at all or it doesn't work as well as Win98 defrag?

As you said in your other post.

Edit: It looks like the hard drive is failing. The SMART data shows 7 reallocated sectors and I can't defragment the drive.

It look like you need a new computer start saving?

Keith

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

The ME defragmenter doesn't work as well as the 98 defragmenter.

The bad sectors have probably existed for a long time. I didn't see any signs that the drive had bad sectors until I ran HDAT2. ScanDisk never showed any errors. The hard drive has been getting slower since I was given this computer. It is now so slow that I can not record audio using Audacity, even though it worked fine before reinstalling Windows.

I do need a new computer. This is the best computer I have.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

Well you can do a full scandisk with Win98 and WinME in DOS but the WinME isn't as easy. Hold the Ctrl key as its booting up and select Command Prompt Only from the boot menu. At the C:\ prompt type scandisk. If you get a message bad command or filename type in cd c:\windows\command and return then type scandisk again and select yes to do a full scan at the last prompt. Now I like the DOS scandisk because you can see all sectors pictorially as it scans unlike Windows. You maybe prompted to fix error as it scan, fix them. You will also see any bad sectors marked if it scanned them before.

Keith

#8 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

I would tend to agree my friend!

I wonder if thats because IT GOES TOO FAST?? (When you defrag,YOU DONT WANT SPEED,YOU WANT A GOOD JOB DONE!!)

After i defrag with WinME defrag i notice some stuff IS STILL THERE!! (It hasnt been moved)

This very well may be the case!! (Stuff gets WORSE not better i have noticed)

EDIT:

After extracting my Win98se defrag program and running it,EVERYTHING WAS MOVED TO C:\<unknown> where it should be (AT THE END OF THE DRIVE)

There was 7000+ entries all together and everyone of them was moved to <UNKNOWN> (I have a deleted file program i can scan my disk for deleted files and restore them if i want to (OR CLEAR THE SPACE TOTALLY (Totally delete the files)))

Rest3123 if your interested: http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html (Restoration.zip)

Edited by 4dude, 09 October 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

I noticed that the ME defragmenter seems to ignore some file fragments. It is also very sensitive and will sometimes restart every ten minutes on a computer with a good hard drive. When it restarts that often, you can see that the file fragments are always in the same location.

I am running ScanDisk in DOS now.

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Well everytime I've defraged with WinME everything is shuffled up the drive with not one little white block left showing. While it defrags it put the files its moving temporarily at the bottom of the drive if you drag the scrollbar down to the bottom you will see then being stacked up.

After extracting my Win98se defrag program and running it,EVERYTHING WAS MOVED TO C:\<unknown> where it should be (AT THE END OF THE DRIVE)

I'm not sure I know what you mean moved to C:\<unknown> ? While your defraging you can't see where the files are being moved to only pictorially.

Keith

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

I am running ScanDisk in DOS now.

And as it shown any bad sectors?

Keith

#12 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

No errors were found.

#13 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

I'm not sure I know what you mean moved to C:\<unknown> ? While your defraging you can't see where the files are being moved to only pictorially.

If you run this program after a defrag you will see all files (OR YOU SHOULD) moved to C:\<Unknown>

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html (You can also totally delete all DELETED FILES with this program)

I notice that the WinME defrag is compressed more than the 98se defrag.. WinME defrag is 208k while Win98 defrag is 248k..

After i ran a scan with WinME's defrag i noticed things sluggish due to it using MORE cpu power.... Now that i have my original file back,THINGS ARE NOT SLUGGISH AFTER A SCAN....

Edited by 4dude, 10 October 2011 - 07:30 PM.

#14 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:38 AM

From my experience defrag should be run at a minimum once a month {twice is better } in "win98 any flavour" and when you run defrag sometimes it is best { not every time } to run it 4 or 5 times in a row or until it takes less than 5 mins on 10gb hdd . My win98 machines always were quick and I often wondered why people had so many problems with slowdowns in their computers . And I like the defrag from win me , I always got same results no matter which defrag I used but ME defrag is quicker . Oh , I also run scandisk before every defrag {except the 4 or 5 in a row } because I found that defrag would not catch every error and sometimes made errors worse . That`s my two cents worth!

Edited by kbit, 10 November 2011 - 03:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users