Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iOBit Advanced System Care, Good or Bad

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: iOBit Advanced System Care, Good or Bad (16 member(s) have cast votes)

iOBit Advanced System Care, Good or Bad?

1. Good (6 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Bad (10 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Picotrek

Picotrek

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

iOBit Advanced System Care, Good or Bad?

Some say they Stole Definitions of Malwarebytes. Checked them out on Facebook and they Seem to float there own Boat (They are Fans of themselves).

Are they Just trying to make an Honest Living, or borderline Criminals?

On Cenet, they either get 5 Stars or 1. And the 1's give advise to stay away.

I would like a un-biased view. And is mainly interested in there Free Product "iOBit Advanced System Care V4" for System Tune Ups.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

For the record:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." — Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." — Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Picotrek

Picotrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the Disclaimer Admin Dude, Just need to know if the Program is Good or Bad? Does It Hurt Your System? Is it a Scam? What are users Experience's?

I have run Scans With this Software and Said over 95 Thousand Errors in the Registry. HAHA, Fat Chance. Even Though a Ccleaner was run on the Red and Temp Files.

I have Used Ccleaner to Clean up peoples computer and have had no Issues.

The comment made ...."The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous" ..... Is Very Correct.

As a Computer Tech, I ask the client, "What is a Registry", they have no idea, or is something that you Register Gifts for a Wedding, nothing with Computers.

SO IS iObit GOOD OR BAD. Helpful Posts Only Please.

#4 dirtypelican

dirtypelican

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

Advanced System Care is wonderful - Was the ONLY anti spyware to remove JS Downloader Agent - Definately improves my system - Removes junk files others can't - and registry scan is optional - I have used the registry scan and benefited from it greatly! Disclaimer - I am not a chip head - I often recommended it and am always greatly thanked! It looks and runs mint - Fire it up!

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,957 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

There was the incident where IOBit was accused of stealing Malwarebytes intellectual property.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Malwarebytes-IObit-Stole-Our-Signatures-Database-125928.shtml
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

Trash software from KNOWN code stealers. Everything they offer that's actually useful is already integrated into Windows. The rest is purely "eye-candy" to "hook" the undereducated user into buying the "unlocked" (paid) version.

In my humble opinion, of course...

Kind of ironical, dontcha think, that this should turn out to be my 1000th post given my history with IObit, LMAO :-))

Edited by Union_Thug, 18 October 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#7 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:11 PM

Fortunately I have never tried any of IObit's stuff on any of my machines, however like your comments UT, I can only add yours to the many I have already seen against IObit.
Consequently I always advise against using any of their products where I advise elsewhere on the net.

May I also say thanks to Animal for those excellent links regarding not using registry cleaners. I will be directing others to those pages and for the same reasons. Save me writing loads of stuff each time too. thanks.

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

IObit software is one of the first programs that I uninstall when working on a customers system.
They pretty much got caught red handed stealing MalwareBytes intellectual property.

I find that uninstalling it immediately boosts system performance.
And I dont trust the product!
You can get better results with tried, true and tested programs that we use every day on the forums.
Malwarebytes AntiMalware is one of them.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 YFB

YFB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

I do like the iOBit Advanced System Care Product, however it's a shame how they try to smuggle in toolbars and stuff, if I ever have to use it I carefully uncheck all additional stuff, and uninstalling it right away using the iOBit advanced uninstaller;) 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users