Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft .NET 4 wont install

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 maddog86

maddog86

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hi there,

I was recently helped out by gringo_pr for a virus and now I am back for more help. Today was the first day I tried to run a program that involved .NET, which failed to run. The .NET repair did not work nor did uninstalling .NET 4 and reinstalling. Through my searching for solutions on the internet I found that I should uninstall all .NET versions and reinstall them and I used microsoft fix it tools to do so following the instructions step by step, besides reinstalling .NET 1.0, 1.1. and 3.5 since I don't think they are used on windows 7.

Now windows updater and the .NET stand-alone installer fail to install .NET 4. I have tried microsoft fix it tools to try and fix the windows installer but that doesnt seem to work either.

And now i am stuck.

If this isnt the appropriate forum please move this thread to the correct one, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 10,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hi maddog86 -

.NET 3.5 is now automatically installed with Windows 7, as it is required for many applications. .NET 4 is the next update -

Do you ever get offered .NET 4 in automatic M/soft updates lately, also, there has already been a security update for it.
If you have it in Updates try this "silly" idea that now works for me. Turn off your Firewall (even if it is just the M/soft one).
>>"Now windows updater and the .NET stand-alone installer fail to install .NET 4."<<
Can you download anything (not just access anything) from M/soft sites. If not try it with all your security off. This was my final hope and it worked (this included .NET 4).

Regards -

EDIT - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic417364.html/page__view__findpost__p__2395913 My 6 page post on the same problem.
I also had 25 to 30 odd posts on Windows Forum to help me -
Finally ended in a recovery install also -

Edited by noknojon, 27 September 2011 - 07:37 AM.

******************************************* Waiting for a reply ??

Press F5 to Refresh as you may have one waiting************************************************

#3 maddog86

maddog86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

turning fire wall off didnt help because i already had the installer, it didnt have to download any files. i have both the stand-alone installer and the windows updater, both failed.

3.5 was removed in the process of all i did so i tried to install that and it just says "setup failure". I will try to find a recovery back up before everthing was uninstalled.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,566 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

I had a terrible time installing .NET framework updates myself. In my case, it turns out I needed to enable a service. Given that that service is used on my system ONLY when updating .NET framework, I disabled it again after updating.

The name of the service in question: .NET Runtime Optimization Service plus version info.

File path: %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe

Note that I run Windows XP

Might be worth checking for that service and see if it's enabled.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 maddog86

maddog86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

i found the file, how do i make sure it is enabled? i double clicked it and watched process explorer and saw nothing open up nor close.

oh and btw, i rolled back my computer 3 days and 4.0 is installed but the repairer doesnt work and the program in question doesnt either. i keep getting CLR error which i -think- is related to framework or its associated parts (MSXML?)

Edited by maddog86, 27 September 2011 - 11:56 PM.

#6 Nunos

Nunos

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

I have had good fortune using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool that is disscussed in that blog. I typically just run the tool to remove all instances and then reinstall them from Windows Update one at a time.

http://www.northernaurora.com

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,566 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

Hello,

The Net Framework cleanup utility will not resolve the update issue if the .NET Runtime Optimization Service isn't running, which took me two days to find out the hard way. As I stated earlier, I don't know how to navigate in the Windows 7 environment. In order to see if .NET Runtime Optimization Service is running, you need to go to management area of services. Navigating to the file won't work. You need to get to the service list.

In Windows XP, I do this by right clicking on the My Computer icon on the desktop then clicking on Manage then Services. The list of services will show if it's running or stopped and if it's set to disabled, manual, or automatic.

Windows 7, I think, is a little trickier to get there. You need to do this with administrative privileges.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

Start and type msconfig. Your will see services at the top. You can also just type in services under search off the the Start.You might take a look at this.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc656912.aspx

Edited by Layback Bear, 28 September 2011 - 03:16 AM.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,566 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

While you can use msconfig to start a service or to enable one, it doesn't provide all the information that's needed concerning services - such as if the service is set to automatically or manually start - nor does it allow you to see the properties. My preference is to go directly to the services management area.

Ah, this article shows how to get there in Windows 7: http://www.askvg.com/windows-7-services-that-can-be-safely-set-to-manual/

Orange Blossom

#10 maddog86

maddog86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Found services, pretty easy just right click my computer and click "manage". Anyways posted a screenshot of what was disabled, only like 6 things. I tried setting the two framework v2.0 to auto which didn't work, I re-disabled them.

I downloaded the 4.0 installer and tried to run a repair which failed. Can post the log of that if you wish.

Attached Files

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,566 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Re-enable those services and set to auto, reboot, then try to update.

Orange Blossom

#12 maddog86

maddog86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

I set all disabled to automatic and restarted. Ran the installer and selected repair, progress bar got about half way then changed to rolling back changes and said repair failed. I think this part of the log file has the errors..

Exe (C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
PerformOperation on exe returned exit code 2359302 (translates to HRESULT = 0x240006)
Action complete
Error 0x240006 is mapped to Custom Error: Success
Overwrite the current error to S_OK.
Wait for Item (netfx_Core_x64.msi) to be available
netfx_Core_x64.msi is now available to install
Creating new Performer for MSI item
Action: Performing Action on MSI at C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi
Log File C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110928_222537041-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt does not yet exist but may do at Watson upload time
Calling MsiInstallProduct({F5B09CFD-F0B2-36AF-8DF4-1DF6B63FC7B4}, REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=pecsmu)
Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information. ]
MSI (C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\netfx_Core_x64.msi) repair operation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110928_222537041-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
Action complete
OnFailureBehavior for this item is to Stop.
Action complete
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:01:49).
WM_ACTIVATEAPP: Focus stealer's windows WAS visible, NOT taking back focus

#13 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 10,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

I downloaded the 4.0 installer and tried to run a repair which failed.

Hi again -

Can you use another browser to access the .NET installer as there can be blocks on I.E. or F/fox -
Google CHROME is the usual next step to try -

Regards -

******************************************* Waiting for a reply ??

Press F5 to Refresh as you may have one waiting************************************************

#14 maddog86

maddog86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

I don't see how it could be blocked. Its a stand alone installer, doesn't use the browser in any way. Are you saying the installer isn't fully downloaded?

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,566 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

Windows Updates are designed to work with IE. I seriously doubt this is a browser issue. I've asked others more knowledgeable than I to look at the topic.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users