Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to access the Windows 8 control panel.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

There is a difference between the Metro UI control panel and the control panel we are most accustom to in windows operating systems before Windows 8.

The way to access the 'control panel' is to go to the windows desktop.

Create a short cut to COMPUTER (info on how to do that is below these instructions) so you have an icon on your desktop called Computer shortcut.

Double click COMPUTER, in the menu area at the top of the window you will see OPEN CONTROL PANEL.

Click on this icon, now, to view the entire contents of the control panel, look for an arrow on the upper right area of this window and look for the words "category", click that little arrow and a drop down menu opens, choose small or large icons.

Now all of the control panel options and shortcuts will be viewable and accessible.

Hope this helps those who are lost with that Metro UI menu and not being able to find options such as the administrative tools menu. You will not find it in the Metro UI.

For those who are lost on how to add the COMPUTER icon to your desktop, click the folder called 'Windows Explorer' on your task bar, on the left will be an icon called computer, right click that and choose add shortcut to desktop.

Hope this has helped anyone who has gotten lost finding the correct control panel.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 September 2011 - 06:07 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

MrBruce1959
I did the same thing I did win Windows 7 to add the control panel to the desktop. After clicking the Metro Desktop icon of course.

I right clicked on the desktop and choose change desktop icons at the top left area of the screen and just checked the box to show the control panel. Actually personal preference is I checked them all.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

111 @ October 19

#3 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

I just always used the {Windows Key} + E shortcut to open explorer.

mvp.png
Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

I just always used the {Windows Key} + E shortcut to open explorer.

Not sure if that will work when you're in the Metro UI, but it's been a while since I've messed with Windows 8.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Just thought I would add that "GodMode" works on Windows 8 just like it does in Windows 7,for all your control panel needs.Instructions for Godmode link

Edited by sleepwalker, 05 March 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#6 BrutalByte

BrutalByte

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Hello,

There are several ways to open control panel in windows 8.

1.When you get the very first start window (Metro UI panel) start typing "Control Panel"..then you will see the icon.

2.Or Right Click on the Start window, you can see a button called All Apps click it, under the widows system list, you can find the control panel icon.

3.Or Click Desktop Icon, take your cursor into the left bottom corner, right click, you will also find the control panel option there.

Thanks

#7 coaler

coaler

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

I have 8.1.. I always hit the windows key plus x...brings up a list, control panel included.  Worked that way on w 8 for me too.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users