Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage from avp.exe file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maruclare

maruclare

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

The CPU usage on my Windows 7 desktop is 100%. I have used Process Explorer to determine an avp.exe file is responsible for 94- 98% of the usage. This file is supposedly from Kaspersky 2011 Anti virus. I attempted to end the process on task manager to see if the CPU usage would go back down, but received a message that access was denied. When the computer is first started it runs well and the CPU usage ranges from 40-50%, but after running a few minutes the CPU usage hits 100%. The computer slows down considerably and programs stop running. It takes in excess of 24 hours to run any spyware or virus scans and no threats have been found. Should I uninstall Kaspersky? Or could some other problem be causing the high CPU usage?

Edited by Budapest, 19 September 2011 - 12:00 AM.
Moved from Windows Startup Programs Database ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 34,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

I'd definitely reinstall Kaspersky.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:51 AM

I attempted to end the process on task manager to see if the CPU usage would go back down, but received a message that access was denied.

Maybe you didn't elevate Process Explorer (run as administrator).

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com
Microsoft MVP 2011-2014 Consumer Security
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

If you do a Google Search for High CPU avp.exe, you will find this issue to be a common complaint from Kaspersky users especially at their own support forums. The Kaspersky Support Team usually asks that you post a GSI report created by their GetSystemInfo tool in a new topic so they can provide individual assistance.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 maruclare

maruclare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I tried to go to the Kaspersky support page and forum yesterday but the computer was running so slowly the page wouldn't open and I don't have Kaspersky on this computer thus no access to the forum. I will turn that computer back on and try to go to the Kaspersky site immediately before it starts running slowly and see what they recommend I do next.

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I tried to go to the Kaspersky support page and forum yesterday but the computer was running so slowly the page wouldn't open and I don't have Kaspersky on this computer thus no access to the forum. I will turn that computer back on and try to go to the Kaspersky site immediately before it starts running slowly and see what they recommend I do next.

You can try to suspend the process. Start Process Explorer (run as administrator), select avp.exe and suspend the process (right-click suspend).
This should make your computer fast enough to access the forum.
The process will remain suspended until you resume it or you restart your machine.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com
Microsoft MVP 2011-2014 Consumer Security
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

#7 maruclare

maruclare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

I went to Kaspersky and clicked on Support and a window came up suggesting I upgrade to the newest version. It took a few tries, but I was finally able to download Kaspersky 2012, and that seems to have solved the problem. The offending file has apparently gone away with Kaspersky 2011. Thank you again for the helpful suggestions. Computer problems are frustrating, but I pick up some new skills with each one I tackle.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:20 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users