Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes won't run

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 arizlang

arizlang

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-C21L running Windows Vista an has AVG running for Anti-Virus protection. I have installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloaded from C-Net.com, the problem is it shows as installed and a shortcut appears on my desktop but I can't get it to actually run as it won't open. Any suggestions as to how I remedy this situation ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

What happens when you double-click on mbam.exe in the malwarebytes folder?

#3 arizlang

arizlang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

Nothing at all really, i see the hourglass for a second or two and then nothing

#4 arizlang

arizlang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

correction: nothing happens, when I try the shortcut I see the hourglass for a second

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

Download MAM to a usb flash update it. Go offline. Turn off your anti virus or remove it. Now install MAM and run it. To the best of my memory AVG can do this. MAM can also be run in safe mode. MSE anti virus free from Microsoft works well with MAM.

#6 arizlang

arizlang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

Do you mean download MBAM or is it MAM ? Where do I find this ?

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:27 PM

MAM and MBAM is the same, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Google it. MAM OR MBAM which ever sometimes is a little hard to get. Reason is many people who make malware try to stop us from the download. It works so well they try to keep us form it. You might have to jump through a few hoops to get it but it's worth it. Another good program is Super Anti Spyware. It digs deep and finds the hard to fine bad things. Please keep in mind that none of these programs and their many more can't help for long if one is not careful where they go online. Being careful what you click on is your number one protection. Please don't use any torrents or P2P. If you have them, remove them is my advice.

#8 arizlang

arizlang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:35 AM

OK now I get the acronym, but I have installed Super Anti-Spyware and ran it a few times, I have tried to install MAM from my USB and it won't do it. I have followed your instructions and no progress. Maybe I am doing it wrong, how do I download MAM to my USB, there is no save option when I try to download it, also I'm pretty sure I have a copy on my USB but how do I install from the USB ?

I have also tried to run it in Safe Mode with no success, any suggestions ?

Thanks in Advance for all your assistance

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,803 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

I'd start by completely uninstalling MalwareBytes using Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/) to make sure all remnants are removed. Then download and install the latest version of MalwareBytes from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/. When you install it, close all other apps and pause the av.

Let's see if that helps.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,867 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

You can also try uninstalling, then reinstalling Malwarebytes Anti-Malware after using their clean up utility as follows:

For Windows XP:
  • First uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Download the mbam-clean.exe (MBAM Cleanup Utility) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on mbamclean.exe to start the utility.
  • When the cleanup routine has finished, it will ask to reboot your computer. Please allow the reboot.
  • After the computer restarts, download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here.
For Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • First uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware using Programs and Features in Control Panel.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Download the mbam-clean.exe (MBAM Cleanup Utility) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Right-click on mbamclean.exe and select Run As Administrator to start the utility.
  • When the cleanup routine has finished, it will ask to reboot your computer. Please allow the reboot.
  • After the computer restarts, download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here.
-- If using the Pro version, you will need to reactivate the program using the license key you were sent by email. If using the free version, then just ignore that part.
-- Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab and check for updates if not done during installation.
-- Restart the computer again and verify that Malwarebytes is showing in the task tray if using the Pro version. Then setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users