Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Appropiate is a Sense of Humour?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#1 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:18 PM

Although this a Fun/Humoursive Thread I have asked permission to have it placed in SpeakEasy.

During a Thread people came in, from all over the World, just to comment, nicely, in a humous way, including our Animal. He said this.....Roadscum said: "No doubt you upstart ex-colonials have been over this guns business once or twice before"

Nope this is new territory.

Google confirms it: "US Gun Debate" only returns: About 70,400,000 results (0.15 seconds)

Quite unusually, the Threat was Locked, with no explaination as to why. Link to the Thread is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic418036.html/page__st__30

My own Persomal attitude is clearly shown in what I have always said to my Families "Once I stop laughing and Joking, just start digging that hole for me"

Let's Debate/Discuss it nicely?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

@ Drovers Dog,
Debate/Discuss what?? I'm a little confused.. :lol:

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

I think hes upset about that topic and the gun debate it turned into (even though it didnt need to turn into) and wants to continue the debate, even though that topic was clearly dead. Which is likely why it was closed.
Posted Image
Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: ASUS ATI 4890 and a Saphire 4890 in Crossfire, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte 4550, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550 watt modular PSU, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate.
If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Alumar

Alumar

• Validating
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Although I never participated in the topic and was just reading all the replies and comments, I was right when I realized the reason the Topic was created defeated it's purpose, it reached a certain point where it involved cultural difference and comparison of laws implemented in each countries where the certain participant was located (Gun Regulation), the admins did the right thing to close it.

Peace!

Alumar.

Edit: Spell check and adding a few points.

Edited by Alumar, 19 September 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

I must appoligise to you all for my tardiness in replying.

In no way did I start this Thread to ever embaress or hassel any BC Staff, quite contry to that. I just thought it could be a good idea to keep it in "Speak
easy", as, quite frankly, some people in the World just seem to have no "Sense of Humour", for God only knows Why.

My intent was to always keep it Humouress and to ask people how a "Sense of Humour" has helped them cope with Life. I am almost 65 and have many stories to share about how a "Sense of Humour" has helped me in the past and continues to do so to this very day, as I am sure many more could.

I will leave this Thread up to my Peers, please work it out if you want it to continue?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 20 September 2011 - 09:07 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

It's my belief and my experience that a sense of humor can help you get through any situation. We can either laugh or cry and I choose to laugh.

My goal in life is simple-to make at least one person a day smile or laugh.

When my father passed away I was devastated. However, I chose to think about the good times with him. My father had a sense of humor that was legendary. He often told funny stories about himself. When he was going through chemo I went with him to his treatments. He would sit in the chair with the chemo drugs dripping into his arm and tell his stories to the other patients in the chemo room. Everyone would be laughing at his stories.

As we, the family and friends, remembered my dad, we all had an amusing story to tell about him. It helped us get through that bad time.

Many years ago when my children were much younger, I one day loudly declared I NEED A VACATION!!

Less than a week later I was admitted to the hospital. While I didn't want to be there, I knew it was the best place for me at the time. My reaction:
Even though food was brought to me 3 times a day, all I have to do is push a button and someone will respond and grant my request, and I was wearing lovely designer gowns, THIS IS NOT MY IDEA OF A VACATION.

Find the funny things in life, laugh often, and make someone else laugh and smile. You'll live a better life.

#7 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

So what if this topic went political and what does it matter why it was started?

Nothing should be condemned or found insulting if it's someone's beliefs and they are not cursing or calling names.

Having a section for controversial topics is useless otherwise.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

lora777 said <snip> "what does it matter why it was started?"

I for one would be nonplussed if I started a topic and it diverged to something unrecognizable or politically motivated. I would expect staff to close it down once it morphed away from the original content and or intent.

I can assure you I am not original in my thinking, as I have over the years been contacted numerous times to do the exact same thing for members.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

This topic is already going off-track.

#10 lora777

lora777

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

The sign was political, just in a humorous way.

I'm sorry, but I can't understand why the discussion was not correct going in either direction regardless of how the poster meant it.

People are not mind readers and I take self defense very very serious and sleep with a loaded pistol on my night-stand.

My sister, many years ago, was brutally raped and murdered. The man carved his initials into her chest and dumped her body in a mud-hole.. Some years later they found out who it was and because his family was influential, they swept it under the rug.

I know only too well how dangerous some people have the potential to be and if my house is ever broken into, have no doubt, I can and will shoot to kill.

Edited by lora777, 20 September 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#11 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

Well Holy Jumpin Crackers Jack's don't close it jist yet.. I gotta great story..I'll
be back in a few.... :lol:

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#12 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

@ Queen-Evie

Thank you very much for your Post regarding your Dad and how you used a "Sense of Humour" to cope with the loss and also to cope with your Medical problems. It was always my intention to talk about it in this way and I certainly agree with Animal regarding how frustrating it can be to see a Topic become some thing completely changed from the original theme intended into some thing very different and ask people to really stick to the Topic.

Over the years I have noticed that people with a "Sense of Humour" seem to be far better off to handle Stress and Pain then those without and truely hope more people will share some of their expereiences in a humourious way.

My own Dad died when I was just 19 years old and, quite frankly, it took me years to get over it. He was a very gentle person that woild give some one in need the "Shirt off his own back". One saying he had I would like to share with you. "God helps those that help themselves, but Christ help them that get caught."

I have had my own Medical problems over the time, in fact, I was Hospitalised by Ambulance 13 times in a 12 month period. The symptoms were identical to a major Heart Attack but eventually was found to be just "Panic Attacks". Once detected I under went Therapy and am slowly beating it. On one occaision four ParaMedics, two Male and two Female, were working on me to get me stable enough to put in the Ambulance. I suddenly looked at one of the females and cracked every one up just by saying "Sweetness, we just have to stop meeting like this, the Neighbours are starting to talk about it". My friends all refer to Ambulances with sirens running as "Ray's Taxi" and even my two dogs howl in harmony when they hear a siren.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#13 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

As some of you already know I transport special needs kids to school, I find a sense
of humor is a very good thing to have...now some of the kids that i transport go to
an alternative school because they don't do well in a regular classroom settin, I
Transported a young man a few years back to just such a school, I'll call him "onion
Snow" because one day it was gettin close to spring and somehow we got the subject of
garden's , I was tellin him about onion snow,he thought i was pullin his leg....until
that very weekend, we had an onion snow :lol: I couldn't wait for Monday to get here
:lol:
It was at about this same time, that this usually happy young man,had come out of
class for his ride home with me,He looked like a rain cloud, I thought ruh roh raggy
this ain't good....He got in and got settled, and I asked him "Onion Snow" what you
lookin like a rain cloud about?? He said he wished he had hooked school that day,
and he would have if he hadn't hooked to many times already.....
So I said "basically what you're upset about is a lack of planning"
He just laughed and laughed, rain cloud all gone...

Now just today I was transporting a grade school child home,to make a long story short
we had some flooding around these parts a few week's ago, his apartment got flooded
so they moved to a different apartment in the same complex....( Now I already knew
where his new apartment was, but just makin conversation with him, i asked hom to show
me how to get there, he responded "Woman, What am i gonna do with you" I thought i'd
wet myself....he's only 6.

@ Queen Evie,
I can really appreciate your post,and you know why...
about 25 years ago my father had a mild heart attack, he was in the hospital in
Rapid City , he was tired of bein in there, i went in to see him,while I wa there
a lab tech came in to draw blood,Daddy wasn't happy about losin more turnip juice
i watched,when the tech was done, she went to put a bandaid on his arm...that's when
I yelled"WHAT!!! NO SNOOPY BANDAID!!!" my father looked like he wanted to smack me
BUT the tech and I were laughin so hard it didn't matter, she asked him which way
he wanted snoopy facin, Daddy said, towards the next person that want's my blood
by then he was laughin....yes a sense of humor is a great thing to have, I was given
many gift's by my father and his sense of humor was one of em.
That same sense of humor made my mother want to knock both our heads off..BUT I still
got mine...so neener neener neener :lmao:

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

@ Drovers Dog,
Over the years I have noticed that people with a "Sense of Humour" seem to be far better off to handle Stress and Pain then those without and truely hope more people will share some of their expereiences in a humourious way.

I had to laugh at what you said,I've alway's said that I've watched the sane and the insane
The Insane are havin a much better time.. :lmao:

and like you it took me along time to get over the death of my father and best friend
The only thing that kept me off the 8th floor( Physic ward) poppin sedatives like M and M'S
was a sense of humor, I remember the day he left my life, my baby brother had made the
comment that Daddy had hung up his gone fishin sign, I said he better not have,
Grandma will kill him!! for the first time in day's we laughed and it felt good....

In November I did a 9 day stint in the hospital, I was just this side of septic shock
when my husband and daughter got me there, thew last thing i remember before they
whipped my tail into surgery was tellin them i can't lay on my stomach....
I woke up hooked to all kinds of machines...I'm a firm believer in GOOD DRUGS :lmao:
and that stuff was awesome :P but as they would run out, that machine would ring
an alarm..so i'd hit the call button and inform the nurses that it was seranadin me
again
they sent me home with vicodin, another good drug...( Giggle) Now who on earth pay's
their bill's, get em back because she forgot to sign the check???..ME that's who( mental note
don't pay bill's while takin vicodin....
so your dogs sing with the siren's.... :lol:

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

@ MissPlaced

Thank you for your Comments, I just knew that you would understand once you knew from where I was coming from. I am hopefull that this Thread will continue in this way and be an inspiration to just one person to adopt a "Sense of Humour" that they don't have now. More than that is a definate Bonus.

Regarding my Dogs? Picture below. They are just so cute and friendly. I would like to share this with people, from today's happenings.

Craziest thing about Dogs is they tend to exibate their Master's Character. My two are Female 11 years old, coloured White and Tan, called "Pixie" other is Male 3 years old, coloured Black and Tan, called "Macho". I joking refer to them as my "Temple Dogs" as under Chinese Astrology. I am a Fire Dog under that. They are feircely loyal to me and needed to be locked away when Para Medics attended, just in case. Not that they have ever attacked any one. BTW they just had a sing because of a Siren.

As part of my Therapy I have Support Groups attending to Help me out, one of which comes Mondays Wednesdays and Friday. Most people from that one know that my dogs wil never harm them, in fact, look forward to their Visit, so they can give them some loving. Some how they seem to know that people are trying to help me?

Today a Nice Lady came from them, but she was early by two hours, and knocked on the door. Both dogs told me someone was there, I diddn't have my Hearing Aids on. When I opened up the door the poor Lady, who had never been here before, was confronted by two dogs barking their heads off, wagging their tails. I just invited her in and said "The only way they will ever harm you is by licking you to Death". She relaxed then, came inside, sat down and Macho inmediately jumped on her lap and tried to lick her face. She spent some time feeding them Treats, that we use and playing with them with their Toys. I truelly bet she will be like her co-workers and Love my Dogs.

They are truelly georgious, Mate. Completely my Babies.

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/9797/dcp0006.jpg

I am a very lucky person to have Company like them. They rarely leave my side and make such a fuss when I get Home when out, for any reason, without them.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 21 September 2011 - 08:12 AM.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users