Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix bad sector

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AA l.

AA l.

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:36 AM

Hello All,

My laptop has bad sector checked by HD tune the result shown as following :

Attached File  HD diagnos HD tune_.jpg   167.69KB   6 downloads

Likewise , I ran W-D Data Lifeguard Diagnostic extended test also fail while repairing bad sector.

Attached File  WD-found bad sector.JPG   60.91KB   5 downloads Attached File  WD-test result - fail_.png   47.9KB   5 downloads

Additionally , I tried to run Long Generic mode from Seatool yet fail the test as the bad sector is detected. There is a good feature to repair the bad cluster ; however, the limitation is that feature only applicable for “Seagate Technology or Maxtor brand disc drives”

The most favourable feature provided by seatool is that (quote from seatool user guide ) “ If you give permission to attempt to repair a bad sector, then SeaTools will attempt to write a 512-byte pattern of zeros to that single error sector. Usually, this action will assist the disc drive firmware in managing the problem by retiring the problem sector and activating a spare in its place.”

Is this mean that other good condition cluster surfaces will not be interfered and still be in the same condition also this process called Zero fill ? I try to avoid any process which will interfere the whole disk process as the majority is still in the good condition yet I am pretty confuse about the difference of various HD repair process, if you would describe the distinction and the effect of zero fill and low level format or other repair process, please -

Are there any other tools provide such feature, please ?

Please kindly advise.

System spec : Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit: Acer 4740G ,Intel® Core™ i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz , 2GB DDR3 , WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0 ATA Device , 500 GB , NVIDIA GeForce 310M , Realtek High Definition Audio

Would you tell me how to add system spec to signature , please ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

If your Hardrive contain Logical Bad Sector you could fix it using a Software but if your Hardrive contain Physical Bad Sector there is no Software that could fix it.

You could go here.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0+ATA+Device&x=16&y=16
And select what version of Data Lifeguard Diagnostic that you want to use.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

Running chkdsk /r will mark the sector as bad and attempt to move all data from the sector to a different part of the disc:

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users