Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Random Shutdown Problem - Core2Quad - thermal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TyRip

TyRip

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

I have a desktop at our office that is having random shutdown problems 5-10 minutes after Windows 7 Pro x64 starts.

This computer is an Asus Core2Quad desktop in the larger mid tower case.

Ran Speedfan and got an error message about SCSI failure, CPU temp was about 45C, I did get AUX temp at 98C (no idea what this is?). HD temp was fine, everything seemed to look OK other than the hard disk failure of some sort and the AUX temp.

PSU fans seem good, and are pumping out cool air. CPU fan throttles down and heatsink feels cool, temps measure mid 40s in speedfan.

Asus Gold heatsink in picture feels really warm, and that's the only info I have for now. Suggestions? Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

If you could get a cooling fan to either exhaust out the back or blow in from the front, this would cause a cross flow of air over the motherboard, specially where your NorthBridge chip is located, this will lower the temperature inside the case considerably and in turn will most like cool that NorthBridge chip heat sink in the process.

After that, test run the computer and see if the issue has been resolved.

I might want to add, the cooling fans inside PSUs do not circulate air throughout the entire case, they may exhaust some of the air, but the best case scenario is to have air flowing directly over the motherboard and the hard drives as well if that is possible.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 TyRip

TyRip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

The computer is an Asus Essentio CG5270-BP004

Here is the Speedfan log:

Win9x:NO 64Bit:YES GiveIO:NO SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801JIB ICH10 SMBUS at $0400
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=Winbond W83627DHG-P
WARNING: bad Winbond($5CA3,$C1) identify (W83627DHG-P,W83667HG)
W83627DHG-P (ID=$C1) found (using SuperIO) on ISA at $290
Scanning Intel SMBus at $0400...
Found Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 on AdvSMART
Found SCSI drive 3200 (160.0GB)
ProbeSCSI: WARNING: hard disk skipped because of invalid returned LogSense data
ATK0110 (MB=P5QL-VM-EPU) found on ACPI
Found Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
End of detection

Here is a screenshot of speedfan: http://npfirstumc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/speedfan.png

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

TyRip if you could do me a favor and follow the instructions below for this computer, this will give me a lot of information about your computer.

I am concerned about two things here, one being that "Bad Winbond" warning and the one you mentioned about SCSI.

Here's the directions.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed
  • Speccy - First, you will need a program called Speccy. According to Piriform: "Speccy is an advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.

Instructions
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Thanks and we'll be watching for your next reply.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users