Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp, How Many Running Processes Should I Have

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anglwngs

anglwngs

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:00 AM

Hi, can anyone tell me which processing things i should have running when i start my computer,, I start it, and i check my process, and i have so many,, which ones should i delete from running,, here is a list of the ones that are running, these all run when i log on to the computer, can someone help me, please,,, thanks,,

taskmgr.exe
Iexplore.exe
msmsgs.exe
Ymsgr_tray.exe
msmsgr.exe
PSFree.exe
WKUFind.exe
wuauclt.exe
MsgPlus.exe
jusched.exe
VTTimer.exe
svchost.exe
ScsiAcess.EXE
NAVAPSVC.EXE
CCAPP.EXE
kodakCCS.exe
ewidoguard.exe
ewidoctrl.exe
spoolsv.exe
CCEVTMGR.EXE
SNDSRVC.exe
Hmsg.exe
CCSETMGR.EXE
Svchost.exe
svchost.exe
explorer.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
Isass.exe
serices.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
System.exe
System Idle Process.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:55 AM

So, why do you want to stop these processes? Do you have XPPro or XPHome?

First, this isn't necessarily a list of what opens when your computer starts up. There's many variables, and many locations where the startup programs can launch from. The safest way to disable them is through the programs that they are associated with (for example: disable MSN Messenger by opening it and disable it from loading when Windows starts). There are other ways to do this, and we can recommend some free programs to do it with - if needed.

The svchost.exe processes have several processes that run underneath them - so there's lot's more than this running. But, it depends on what kind of system and how much memory that you have - we'll need to know this before we can recommend much.

You can safely disable all the Messenger/IM stuff, along with the Kodak stuff. If you need it, it'll load when you open the program that uses it.

So, please let us know if you have XPPro or XPHome and what your system specifications are (if you don't know this, let us know the exact make and model of your computer and we can look it up).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

You can check ur startup list against the one in this forum or here and decide what u need to retain.
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html.

#4 anglwngs

anglwngs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

Sorry about not being very clear, ,, I have
Windows xp home edition, version 2002
Computer AMD Athlon™ xp 2000+
1.67 GHz , 224 MB of Ram, not sure if that helps,, but wasnt sure if all those things should be running or not,, thanks ,, Heather

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

Windows XP usually has a lot of services running, as people have indicated. There are a few things already mentioned that you might take out of your startup group, but that is probably not going to speed your computer up to any degree.

Your ram is at the low end of what is recommended for XP and depending on what you do with your computer, graphics, games, having two or three programs running, etc., then you would definitely gain speed by going to 512 meg of ram.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

It seems that you've got a system with a built in video card (that takes 32 mB of your memory) - which will add up to 256 mB of RAM.

Looking at the processes running - you're really, really short on memory. There's 3 ways to help your system out:
1) Stop all the unneeded processes from running ( this will take a while - but it's free) or,
2) Buy some more RAM for the system (at least 512 is recommended - as franktiii says) - but if you're gonna keep all this stuff running, you'll probably want more. (this is easy to do, but it will cost some money)
3) This is a combination of the above 2 methods - where we prune out the most undesirable processes - and add some RAM to take up the slack.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#7 anglwngs

anglwngs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

HI, OK, can you tell me how to stop running these programs,, , also I will definately look into picking up some more ram, ,, thank you for responding ,, I appriciate it,, Heather

#8 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:11 AM

I thoroughly recommend Winpatrol from BillP Studios. It's a free download and you can edit your services, and startup programs, and much more. It' so good that I reckon it should be shipped with windows XP.
phantazy

#9 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:13 AM

BTW, I have about 32 services showing, and I reckon that's about the norm.
phantazy

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:15 AM

You are getting excellent advice in this topic thread, Heather

Your responses and questions ... and actions taken
will make it possible to gain more control over your PC.

Others will learn in the process, and those helping
reinforce knowledge they've gained the same way.

I saw .exe files associated with Norton & Ewido running.
Both are anti-virus related programs.

:thumbsup: I followed turnip's advice myself.

Found this:
navapsvc.exe
This service is used by Norton Antivirus to run in the background and detect when any files that are infected with malware are stopped from running. This is an essential service and should not be stopped.
CCAPP.EXE
Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003. Auto-protect and E-mail check will not function without this
ccEvtMgr.exe
Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003. Event manager for scheduling weekly scans and or automatic virus updates. Used to start automatically via "ccApp" and was not required as a seperate entry but a recent update changed this
CCSETMGR.EXE
Part of Norton AntiVirus 2004. What does it do?
SNDSRVC.exe
Part of Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Internet Security - what does it do and is it required?

I use Ewido,
so I recognized these, although they are not included at the startup database here presently:
ewidoguard.exe & ewidoctrl.exe

Google search for the first one:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ewido...G=Google+Search
Paying attention to the websites that contribute these responses, and choosing "cache" will
provide data like:
Author: Ewido
Part Of: Ewido Internet Security
and more from what I found is the official Ewido support site:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:XfY7y5f...guard.exe&hl=en

Unlike
the anti-spyware, anti-trojan and anti-malware programs that specifically target problems beyond virus related infections (which both Norton & Ewido do)
anti-virus programs
(and those that are anti-virus apps also bundling other "specialties", like Norton does with it's firewall and small "utility" add-ons)
operate upon windowsXP in such a way that it is not recommended to run more than one simultaneously.

This is because anti-virus applications must integrate deeply and co-exist with several vital system programs. Each of the anti-virus programs available perform this function using their own unique, "proprietory" methods as means to the common end result.

Two of them operating at the same time can lead to conflicts.
These programs typically run at all times,
using rather large percentages of your limited system resources.
Placing twice the demand on your PC constantly will result in compromises in overall performance.

Some cases have been documented where both are operating and reporting normal conditions exist
(both saying you are safe) when in actual fact they are essentially nullifying each other's actions
and leaving your PC wide open with no real protection at all.

This all could be stated briefly in a few carefully worded sentences.
It wouldn't give you what is needed for you to make well informed decisions, though.

Time goes on and problems online become more sophisticated.
It's safe to assume the problem solving software must also develop with it.
Updates accomplish this requirement in the case of anti-virus apps.

Using separate apps for targetting the wide range of additional categorical threats we face online
[trojans ... rogue keylogging apps ... worms ... browser hijackers ... rootkits & more]
is simply more effective and less complicated.
A significant amount of problems are constantly being reported involving Norton Security apps.
Problems as bad or worse than those caused by malware. Weird problems. Undesirable conditions.
Speaking strictly from a personal opinion standpoint, its because they suck more resources in
more ways than others do and they continue to add more features & more ends up as less.
Less value to you. Less ability for your PC to do what you want it to do.

I know I've said too much. Probably confuses you, too. I'm sorry.
I wish things were different than they actually are. :flowers:

You should run only one anti-virus application. My vote would be for Ewido.

Edited by phawgg, 21 January 2006 - 07:21 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users