Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio - webcam not detected, not in device manager

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 augustjones

augustjones

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:58 AM

I have a Sony Vaio VPCW11S1E/T with a built in motion-eye webcam, with windows XP.

I uninstalled the arcsoft software that came with the laptop in error last week, however now my webcam cannot be detected. In device manager no image devices are listed however there is an 'unknown' under USB (usb/vid)- I have disabled and re-enabled but I still get an error message when I reboot - a USB has malfunctioned: no drivers installed. I tried to install camera drivers from the Sony website, however on trying to install a message pops up advising that 'no camera is detected' and the driver installation is cancelled.

I've also reinstalled the arcsoft software however it can't detect a camera.

System restore is not an option as I discovered it wasn't switched on so I can only restore from today. Is a restore to factory settings the only option and would it work? It seems I have uninstalled the drivers and now the camera has malfunctioned and the system doesn't recognise it so it can't connect to a new driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

I would try using the restore-to-factory-defaults feature.

Appears to be a netbook with no other means reverting/repairing Windows.

The driver for the internal webcam...may have been included with the software you apparently uninstalled.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110827044242AADFYRf

Louis

#3 augustjones

augustjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

OK thank you Louis. A factory settings restore is just a ball-ache having to reinstall outlook, emails programs etc but I shouldnt have been so stupid in the first place.

I tried yahoo answers too on a whim.

#4 CYANiDE

CYANiDE

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:04 AM

ArcSoft usually has the drivers bundled into it.

Uninstall any ArcSoft products restart and re-download the drivers and install. Then restart.

There are no "yellow triangles" in Device Manager?

Posted Image

#5 augustjones

augustjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

Thank you CYANiDE - yes there is a yellow triangle in device manager, under 'non-plug and play drivers' it just says 'serial' and has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. In details it says it's enabled and root/legacy/0000 and 'this device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)'.
I googled it and it seems quite common but I didn't know whether it was to do with my webcam. It won't let me start it.

I'll try uninstalling all the arcsoft and reinstalling the drivers

#6 augustjones

augustjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:56 AM

I uninstalled and restarted but when I try to download the driver it stops half way through with 'camera device does not exist. please enable the device before installation'

#7 augustjones

augustjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:53 AM

So I re-set my laptop to factory settings, I used the complete restore option (16000 emails redownloaded to outlook!)

However, the camera is still not detetected...

In device manager, under non plug and play devices there is still a serial(!) - 'this device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)'.
Also under USB Controllers there is still an Unknown 'no drivers installed for this device' and under details it says 'USB\VID_000...'
I can't update drivers with the installed camera driver.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

Have you contacted Sony support...or tried the Sony support forum (if any)?

Louis

#9 augustjones

augustjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

Yes they sent me a new camera driver to install, which hasn't worked. The next option is to send off for repair but i'm not sure it's worth it. I'll try a sony forum instead, thank you

#10 augustjones

augustjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

To update - I rang sony support and the only solution is to replace the motherboard at a cost of 250. Who knew deleting a piece of software could cause such a malfunction... Sony should issue a warning about uninstalling arcosft or at least just not allow you to delete it! I was only following some smart* advice on the skype forum. Don't do it folks.

#11 augustjones

augustjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:42 AM

OK this is my last post. Guess what? The camera reappeared, I don't know how or why but yesterday I just saw it under scanners and cameras and I looked in device manager and there was a new section 'imaging devics'. I'm guessing the cyber bees were working away in the background to link up the unknown usb to the drivers. The only other thing I can think of is that I have installed all my windows updates including the new version of java - and rebooted about a million times.
So, thankfully I didn't send off to replace the motherboard. I still would not recommend uninstalling the arcsoft software though! My new usb webcam arrived today too, I think I might keep it just in case...

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,465 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

Feedback appreciated, glad it seems to be resolved...happy computing :).

Louis

#13 Applejackle

Applejackle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

I dislike necro'ing threads, but I hate to think of other people having a similar issue, being told to get a new motherboard, and then do it when this can be fixed. I don't think the OP's issue had so much to do with the Arcsoft software, considering my issue did not.

My Vaio webcam stopped working out of the blue. I noticed this because I could not gchat on video. Thinking it was a Gchat issue, I uninstalled an reinstalled flash, java, and gtalk plugin. Nothing worked. Checked Arcsoft--didn't detect my camera. Device manager? Not listed. Device manager DID list an unknown USB though, much like the OP. Tried everything I could rationally think of--drivers, etc. Then my husband suggested the most ridiculous thing ever:

Shut the computer off (not restart). Unplug your power cord while the computer is off. Plug the power cord back in. Turn on your computer.

And it worked. No idea why, but it worked. My husband said that he's only had this happen since coming to the UK (we're expatriated here for a few years); please note that he has an American computer and I have a 'UK' Vaio as well, so I don't think it depends on that.

Good luck any future Vaio users who have this issue!

#14 fairhaven7

fairhaven7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

So I had the very same problem with my Vaio laptop - checked Arcsoft--didn't detect my camera. Device manager? Not listed. Device manager DID list an unknown USB.  I tried a bunch of stuff and nothing worked. Then I found Applyjacki's post about turning off the laptop, unplugging, replugging and turning back on (even though I thought it was ridiculous). To my big surprise, it worked!!!!!!!!! No kidding. I went to Device Manager, and there under the imaging devices, it was there again!  Thank you Applejackie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#15 amirtha

amirtha

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

i am facing the same problem at the moment. can u pls help me get through it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users