Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browser keeps sending me to different sites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mommylady

Mommylady

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Hi - I have used this site in the past and was able to follow the instructions to get rid of a couple problems. I looked up what my computer is doing now and keep finding all these "logs" which I don't understand so I need someone to walk me through what I need to do.
I am having trouble with my browsers (it is doing this on Internet Explorer and Firefox) sending me someplace other than where I want to go. Sometimes it will send me to the right place, sometimes it opens the correct window and a random one, sometime just the random window come up, and sometimes nothing comes up but you can see that it was trying to send me some place weird.
I have Malwarebytes. I updated that and than performed a scan on all drives. While that was running, Microsoft Security Essentials popped up and said it detected 3 potential threats and suspended them. I hit the button for details and got:
TrojanDownloader: Java/Open Conn....
Exploit:Java/CVE-2008-5353.MW
Exploit:Java/CVE-2008.5353.XF
I hit the button to remove them. The bar got about 2/3s the way across the window and then froze up. Malwarebytes and the rest of the computer froze up as well. I wasn't able to do anything, so I hit the button to turn off the computer.
When I turned the computer back on, got the same warning from Microsoft Security Essentials. This time I just hit the "clean computer" button. Almost immediately, the screen disappeared and the icon was back to green.
Pulled back up Malwarebytes and tried to run scan again. While it was running, I kept getting the Malwarebytes' Anti Malware Window pop up saying "Successfully blocked access to a potentially malicious website:" Here there are a set of numbers but them kept changing - the best I can tell there were three numbers: 208.87.33.151 and 208.87.32.69 and 208.73.210.48. The box also stated "Type: outgoing" I haven't paid attention to the numbers before, but this window is almost a constant sight the last few days (since I downloaded the Malwarebytes).
***I just got Malwarebytes a few days ago - I had had another issue (can't remember what it was called) and getting Malwarebytes was part of the solution. I wish I could remember what it was called because I wasn't able to complete the last step which had something to do with resetting Hosts? It wanted me to delete something before I reset it, but I couldn't find instructions for how to do it. I then got sidetracked with life and now here I am. I'm sure that is why I am having these problems.
Anyhow, also while Malwarebytes was running this second scan, I got the Microsfot Security Essential popup again stating it had detected 2 potential threats. I figured this time I wouldn't touch it until Malwarebytes was done with the scan.
I then got a popup in the middle of my screen saying "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvnience. If you were n the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsfot about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous. To see what data this error contains, click here. I did that and got a window that showed
Error signature
Appname: mbam.exe
ModVer: 5.1.2600.6055
AppVer: 1.51.1.1076
Offset: 00011295
Modfile: ntdll.dll
While I was looking at this, the Security Essentials pop up disappeared and the icon switched back to green. Also the Malware bytes little popup disappeared.
When I exited out of the error screen, the scan disappeared as well.
I'm not sure what I need to do. I don't know how to post any of those logs I keep seeing. ****something else I just remembered, after I went through the steps trying to fix my last problem a few days ago (remember I couldn't figure out hwo to do the last step), I thought I would restore my computer to several days prior thinking I didn't have any problems then. Don't know if that makes a difference, but I'm trying to type anything I can think of.
It is probably pretty obvious at this point that I am not a computer person so I'll need specific instructions. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to walk me through this.
Mary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Sounds like a little virus that's trying to "jam" MBAM and MSSE.

Let's try running a scan in safe mode.

To reboot into safe mode:

• First restart the computer.
  • Repeatedly hit F8 until you are given a list with many options
  • Select Safe Mode with Networking

Once you are in safe mode I would recommend firstly updating MBAM. Some viruses will block the updater. After the update try running another scan with MBAM and see if you are able to clear out the virus.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 23 August 2011 - 12:41 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Mommylady

Mommylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Thanks. I did what you suggested. MBAM updated from version 7544 to 7547. I ran another scan and it found four more: spyware.pass...
trojan.Hiloti (2X on this one)
Trojan.FakeA1
I hit the "remove selected" and then hit the restart computer
Unfortunately, it didnt change anything. I pulled up Internet Explorer. My home page came up, but so did a random site. Whatever is redirecting me is still doing it. Any other ideas? I looked through the computer and this site and it seems to be pretty common (though most associate it with Google). I'm not sure mine is the same as I use bing for my searches and when I pulled up my IE I didn't use any type of search and I still got an extra site pulled up. Thanks

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

You say your homepage came up bur so did a random site? Like a popup? Or did the browser redirect entirely?

I have heard good things with this:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

Delete all automatically ticked items and then delete all those files.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 24 August 2011 - 09:21 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Mommylady

Mommylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

My homepage came up in the first tab, the second tab (which is the one that showed) was the random site. The weirdest thing is today when I got up, my background (wallpaper?) was on the screen, but no icons. I tried clicking around the screen and got nothing so I turned off the computer and turned it back on. Since then I haven't had a single problem with the redirecting. Not sure what is going on, but I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth. I went ahead and did the system clean up anyhow figuring it couldn't hurt. I guess we'll see what happens.

#6 Mommylady

Mommylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

This morning I woke up to the same thing - my background picture was there, but no icons and I couldn't click anywhere or do anything. Turned off and when came back up seemed fine. I left computer for a little bit and when came back hour later - same thing: just background there. Turned it off and now seems ok. Wouldn't even care so much but I heard to keep turning it off and on with the button wasn't good for it.

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hmm, that's weird.

Lets try this:

• Right-click on desktop.
  • Click Show Desktop Icons

Also, what version of Windows are you running?

#8 Mommylady

Mommylady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

It doesn't let me click or right click so can't. I've discovered that, if I move the mouse back and forth it will sometimes take me to the sign in page. Unfortunately, it is redirecting me to random sites again. Windows XP

Edited by Mommylady, 26 August 2011 - 09:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users