Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPod touch firmware update - now "Charging is not supported with this accessory"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mongobird

mongobird

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:17 AM

I normally charge my iPod touch with a USB cable in my linux desktop. That machine is on 24/7, and it's where I charge most USB stuff.

Recently I updated the firmware, mostly because I was considering "jailbreaking" the iPod.

After the firmware update, I now get "charging is not supported with this accessory."

The same cable works fine with my laptop running iTunes, but not with another windows system, or with any of my (many) linux systems.

Workaround / fix available?

Edited by Budapest, 21 August 2011 - 06:32 PM.
Moved from Mac OS ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

What ipod touch is it? Is it a new model such as a 4G or is it an older 2g? what version of ios did you update to? Also you may need drivers on the machine to work. did the other windows machine that you tried have itunes installed?

Edit: Thank you Budapest for the move.

Edited by computerxpds, 21 August 2011 - 09:56 PM.

sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too!

#3 mongobird

mongobird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

My iPod touch is a 4G unit. The memory is 8GB. I was charging it for quite some time (i year + ) until I did a firmware and software update.

It appears that a Windows machine without iTunes is able to charge the iPod.

All testing is with the same cable. I tried on several Linux machines.

SW verstion 4.3.5 (8L1)

Model MC540LL

I brought the FW to the latest version (as of four days ago)...which is not handy right now, as I don't know how to check it with a stand-alone unit.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Well I am sorry to say that you cannot jailbreak that firmware as a untethered jailbreak. But Im not sure why it isn't charging on linux.. I was going to try it on my own linux install but I managed to screw it up again so I will try later. I will try to look for some more answers for you.

sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too!

#5 mongobird

mongobird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

Can I revert back to an earlier version of the FW?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

No. Unfortunately not. Thats apple.

sigcomp.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users