Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware/Malware Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 jeremyfifty9

jeremyfifty9

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi, I was on the computer and found the following viruses in HijackThis. I didn't remove anything yet because I decided to wait for the pros.

Freecause Shopping
Alot Toolbar Helper
iWin Games
Freecause
LivingPlay

What should I do?

Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,874 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

They look like they can go. That said just because you "removed" something with HijackThis, that does not mean you have cleaned the PC of malware. Also removing items in HJT prior to determining their cause may result in hidden malware that cannot be detected by the proper removal tools.
An example ..it would be better to remove that Toolbar with the Control Panel uninstaller first.

Or run a tool like MBAM.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Edited by boopme, 18 August 2011 - 09:10 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 jeremyfifty9

jeremyfifty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

Mbam

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7540

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

8/22/2011 8:19:02 PM
mbam-log-2011-08-22 (20-19-02).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 172763
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 8
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D9291F9E-7010-4D7A-8DF6-455DEEF8EF51} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{8006F89E-63A1-402A-8DB7-08A4C58F95AA} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{D4256C66-8177-4E19-8A13-2D43B2282D0D} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lptlIE.TextLinks.1 (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lptlIE.TextLinks (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{D9291F9E-7010-4D7A-8DF6-455DEEF8EF51} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{D9291F9E-7010-4D7A-8DF6-455DEEF8EF51} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{D9291F9E-7010-4D7A-8DF6-455DEEF8EF51} (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\program files (x86)\livingplay games\lplaytl.dll (PUP.LivingPlay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,874 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

Let now run a Safe mode scan.
Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode

Run TFC by OT (Temp File Cleaner)
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#5 jeremyfifty9

jeremyfifty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

SAS scan log

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/22/2011 at 09:48 PM

Application Version : 5.0.1118

Core Rules Database Version : 7591
Trace Rules Database Version: 5403

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:19:31

Operating System Information
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Build 6.01.7600)
UAC On - Limited User

Memory items scanned : 555
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 70979
Registry threats detected : 16
File items scanned : 47107
File threats detected : 1

Adware.IWinGames
(x86) HKCR\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}
(x86) HKCR\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}\InprocServer32
(x86) HKCR\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
(x86) HKCR\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}\ProgID
(x86) HKCR\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}\Programmable
(x86) HKCR\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}\VersionIndependentProgID
(x86) HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}
(x86) HKCR\CLSID\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}
(x86) HKCR\IEHlprObj.IEHlprObj.1
(x86) HKCR\IEHlprObj.IEHlprObj.1\CLSID
(x86) HKCR\IEHlprObj.IEHlprObj
(x86) HKCR\IEHlprObj.IEHlprObj\CurVer
C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\IWIN GAMES\IWINGAMESHOOKIE.DLL
(x86) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}
(x86) HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}
(x86) HKU\S-1-5-21-890578175-3251163996-1015220917-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}
(x86) HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{8CA5ED52-F3FB-4414-A105-2E3491156990}

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,874 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hello,I had to replace an NIC card and could not reply till now. How is it running now?

#7 jeremyfifty9

jeremyfifty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

Fine I guess, should all the viruses/spyware be removed? I haven't looked at the computer for I'm merely helping someone with their computer problems, but if you say it's fixed I'll get over there and take a look.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,874 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

should all the viruses/spyware be removed?

Yes,remove everything found.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

#9 jeremyfifty9

jeremyfifty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

No threats are found. But the entries in HijackThis are still there, and the malware toolbar is still there, and so is the spyware game.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,874 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Then you will need to post the HJT log with theses here.....

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

#11 jeremyfifty9

jeremyfifty9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic419385.html

I didn't run gmer b/c this is a 64-bit operating system.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hello,

Now for the hard and frustrating part: waiting.

Now that you have posted a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users