Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware removed, now NO internet access

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 klerg

klerg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

I used Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware to scan and get rid of malware. I'm without internet now. I have a wireless connection. It just shows a 169 IP address. Ipconfig /release and /renew also leave me with a 169 IP, too. I read up on resetting TCP/IP and Winsock, but that does NOT work either. Here's the error when i reset Winsock via the netsh winsock reset catalog in an admin command shell:

The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: WSHELPER.DLL
The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: IFMON.DLL
The following command was not found: winsock reset catalog

I then did the TCP/IP repair via netsh int ip reset reset.log, but it gives me the same error as before. I tried to load the 'helper' dll by typing 'netsh add helper wshelper.dll' but that does nothing. I ran SFC /SCANNOW too, but it found NO corrupt or missing files. Can Winsock and TCP/IP be fixed manually somehow? I want to avoid re-installing Windows. I have Windows Vista installed.

Edited by klerg, 16 August 2011 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

can you post the logs from Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware?

#3 klerg

klerg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:45 AM

Unfortunately, i deleted MBAM and SUPERANtispyware, along with logs. What is it you need to know from logs? I do NOT see how anything in them will fix Winsock or TCP/IP.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

The logs would tell us what was detected, what was removed, and why you have no internet. It would be like you going to a doctor to find out what you had after you have gotten better. There would be no point. With the logs we can only guess what happened. In the future if this happens again, please keep all logs from any scans that you perform.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Run that on the machine with no internet, and put the report file on a disk and paste it in your next reply.

#5 klerg

klerg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

Well, I wanted to keep the logs, but the uninstallers deleted them. I'm NOT able to attach files, so i uploaded the log file here, press 'Click here to start download from sendspace.' But first, i must tell you when i ran MiniToolBox, it gave me this an error message box:

nslookup.exe - ordinal not found

the ordinal 1108 could not be located in the dynamic link library WSOCK32.DLL

When i clicked OK, nslookup.exe crashes, i have more info on that below

nslookup has stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: nslookup.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918e19
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000138
Exception Offset: 00009cac
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9d13
Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
Additional Information 3: 9d13
Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

When i close it out, the same error message box pops up, followed by the nslookup crash, again. After that, MiniToolBox finishes, and that's all. I really appreciate your help, very brave of you to tackle this 'hairy' problem.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

May need a deeper look, at what the malware did:

Please follow the instructions in ==>Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

Most importantly please be patient till you get a reply to your topic.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 32,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic415247.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users