Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't surf - "404 not found -nginx-" help removal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andantesash

andantesash

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi,

I have my brothers computer to fix and I have came across the strangest thing using "IE" & "chrome" & "firefox".

Everytime I open one of the browsers or search for something it comes up saying 404 Not Found - then a line - then "nginx" in smaller writing below the line.

Can someone suggest a way to get rid of this to allow browsing again?
I have ran virus scans, malwarebytes, superantispyware, ccleaner and cleaned and removed all/any problem but still the problem persists.

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hello, I moved this to the Am I Infected forum.

Are you using XP or another?

Can you get on the net using Safe Mode with Networking?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 andantesash

andantesash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

yes its an xp machine, also this has just happened to my dads laptop at his own house. instead his is a "505 internal server error" then the line - then nginx below this.

any ideas?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,753 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

When doing a search I am finding a lot of complaints about this "404 not found nginx" issue with various possible causes and suggestions to fix it.

Go to Posted Image > Control Panel (Settings > Control Panel if in Classic View) and double-click on Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7. From within Add/Remove Programs highlight "Anti Phishing Domain Advisor" (if listed) and select Remove.

Repeat the above steps for each of these programs:
Panda
Ask Toolbar

If there are other toolbars or programs listed which you did not install, I would remove them too. When done, be sure to restart the computer. <- Important!

Since I have not come across a specific cause, there are additional steps you can try it the above does not resolve the problem.

:step1: Some infections will alter the Proxy settings in Internet Explorer which can affect your ability to browse, update or download tools required for disinfection. Check/Reset Proxy Server Settings. To do that, please refer to Steps 4-7 under the section Automated Removal Instructions in this guide.

Alternatively, you can press the WINKEY + R keys on your keyboard or click Posted Image > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: inetcpl.cpl
Click OK or press Enter. Click the Connections tab and continue following the instructions in the above guide.

If using FireFox, refer to these instructions to check and configure Proxy Settings under the Connection Settings Dialog.

:step2: Reset the IP address:
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and in the open box, type: cmd
  • Click OK or press Enter. A dos Window will appear.
  • At the command prompt C:\>_, type: ipconfig /release
  • Press Enter.
  • When the prompt comes back, type: ipconfig /renew
  • Press Enter.
  • Close the command box and and see if that fixes the connection. No reboot needed.
-- XP users can refer to XP ipconfig Tutorial: Step 4
-- Vista users can refer to Vista ipconfig Tutorial: Step 4

Flush the DNS resolver cache:
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and in the open box, type: cmd
  • Click OK or press Enter. A dos Window will appear.
  • At the command prompt C:\>_, type: ipconfig /flushdns
  • Press Enter.
  • You will get a confirmation that the flush was successful.
  • Close the command box.

:step3: Some types of malware will alter the HOSTS file as part of its infection. Please follow the instructions provided in How to reset the hosts file back to the default.

To reset the hosts file automatically, click the Posted Image button.
Click Run in the file download dialog box or save MicrosoftFixit50267.msi to your Desktop and double-click on it to run. Then just follow the promots in the Fix it wizard.

If you want to add a custom HOSTS file instead, read here first, then download hosts.zip, save it to your Desktop and follow follow these instructions to install the MVPS HOSTS File.

Note: If using Vista or Windows 7, be aware that they require special instructions.
 :step4: Check/reset your network settings and Configure TCP/IP to use DNS.
  • Go to Posted Image > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
  • Right-click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
  • Double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or highlight it and select Properties.
  • Under the General tab, write down any settings in case you should need to change them back.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain an IP address automatically" or make sure the DNS server IP address is the same as provided by your ISP.
  • Select the button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
  • If unknown Preferred or Alternate DNS servers are listed, uncheck the box that says "Use the following DNS server address".
  • Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer. If not prompted to reboot go ahead and reboot manually.
-- Vista users can refer to How to Change TCP/IP settings.
-- Windows 7 users can refer to How to Change TCP/IP settings.

CAUTION: It's possible that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) requires specific DNS settings here. Make sure you know if you need these settings or not BEFORE you make any changes or you may lose your Internet connection. If you're sure you do not need a specific DNS address, then you may proceed.

:step5: If using a router, disconnect from the Internet and reset your router with a strong logon/password. Many users seldom change the default username/password on the router and are prone to some types of infection. If you're not sure how to do this, refer to the owner's manual for your particular router model. If you do not have a manual, look for one on the vendor's web site which you can download and keep for future reference.

Consult these links to find out the default username and password for your router and write down that information so it is available when doing the reset:These are generic instructions for how to reset a router,:
  • Unplug or turn off your DSL/cable modem.
  • Locate the router's reset button.
  • Press, and hold, the Reset button down for 30 seconds.
  • Wait for the Power, WLAN and Internet light to turn on (On the router).
  • Plug in or turn on your modem (if it is separate from the router).
  • Open your web browser to see if you have an Internet connection.
  • If you don't have an Internet connection you may need to restart your computer.

:step6: Reset Internet Explorer or go here and click the Posted Image button.

This will automatically reset registry keys and the browser back to the way it was when initially installed. If you check the Delete personal settings checkbox in Advanced settings, it will reset the home page(s), search providers and Accelerators to their default values. It will also delete temporary Internet files, history, cookies, web form information (passwords) and InPrivate Filtering data.

-- Note: Microsoft Fix it does not work in Windows 7. Instead, you can use the Internet Explorer troubleshooters to achieve this automatically.itially installed. Then clear your browser history.

If using FireFox, refer to these instructions to reset all user preferences, toolbars and search engine to their default settings using Firefox Safe Mode.

:step7: Clear your Web browser cache. As you browse web pages, the browser stores a copy of the pages you view on your local hard drive; this is called caching. Clearing the cache forces the browser to load the latest versions of Web pages and programs you visit.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 hankel123

hankel123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

same prob norton power eraser fixed it

#6 mrscapermom

mrscapermom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

Thank you so much, I did the norton eraser and my laptop is fixed!!!!

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

OK that was the clue needed. Please run the Norton Power Eraser
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users