Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RegClean Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smellme2

smellme2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

So on speedtest.net it advertised a program called RegClean Pro. I downloaded it to try it out and seeing as it was Microsoft Gold certified I thought it must be pretty good. After detecting over a thousand registry errors I decided to look into purchasing, but then found out that it does absolutely nothing but harm and isn't even partnered with Microsoft. I can't figure out how to remove it because my version is newer than all the guides I can find. Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,477 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

What have you done so far to try to remove it?

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,837 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Are you referring to RegClean Pro by Systweak?

If so, it is not a rogue application and therefore not listed in our removal guides.

You should be able to remove it via Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

:step1: Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

:step2: Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

:step3: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

:step4: Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

:step5: The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 smellme2

smellme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

So far I just uninstalled it. If you research the program slightly, there are tons of sites mentioning how much of a scam it is, it fabricates results and how uninstalling it doesn't really remove it completely. All the guides say to obviously turn off the program, and then remove the registries and such but they seem incompatible with my version. And thanks for the headsup, I should have figured out what I was doing exactly before I feel for the "speed up you pc with this program" advertising.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,837 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

Yes some vendors who offer registry cleaners use deceptive advertisements and claims which are borderline scams. They may alert you to finding thousands of registry errors which can only be fixed and improve performance if you use their product.

#6 smellme2

smellme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

alright, so how could I remove it completely?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,837 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

I said you should be able to remove it via Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7.

You replied:

So far I just uninstalled it.

Then it should be gone.

#8 adamic

adamic

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Anyone that works on computers knows this program does not show up in add remove programs.   i am sorry you were treated poorly here smellme2.   Usually the techs here have very good striaght forward answers on how to remove infections, adware, spyware and Malware..   This is NOT a signed program and it also doesn't have an uninstaller.   You may see it once in add remove programs and remove it but it will show up again.   You can goto adamstarkcr.com and click the contact tab and I will be more than happy to give you the steps  needed to remove it.    Never install unsigned programs.   Try to find a program that is signed.   UAC will tell you when you go to install something, if it is signed or not.   I have this blacklisted as adware in my software and it is removed with the push of a button.   I'd also like to make a note that you don't have 300 errors in your registry.   Don't send them a penny the people who run that software are theives..   Showing false positives and then asking for hundreds of dollars to fix errors that don't exist is a crime.  

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,837 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hello adamic

You have resurrected a topic almost two years old. smellme2 was not treated poorly. He was provided advice appropriate for that time period. Although many registry cleaning programs are scams to goad folks into buying them, they are not all malware related with the ability to cause system infection.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users