Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows cannot find a system image on this computer" X____X

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HTiger

HTiger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/system-image-recovery-cant-find-system-image/96e1b7a2-4a02-4ec9-b4a2-0bdc5cd49a4e

This is my exact problem, down to the tooth. Spent ages Google searching finding zero results. This is the situation:
-I just wiped my previous 750GB internal HD clean, and I put in a brand spankin' new 1TB internal HD. I assume it's relatively blank.
-I had a copy of Acronis True Image, and I made a backup with it. It wouldn't recognize the .tib file in System Recovery. Thank God, I was able to convert the file to a .vhd file as I have access to another laptop, which is where I'm posting from.
-I go back into System Recovery (remember, this is a Windows 7 64-bit edition recovery disc, there is nothing else to work with, it's a blank HD) and I attach my MyBook 1TB to the computer once more, praying to God something shows up, annnnnd nothing. "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

Yet, the SystemImage is certainly there. In both the command prompt and the next page where you can search for drivers, I literally see it sitting there.

I thought the problem might've been that the name of the SystemImage was wrong, because it was originally created in Acronis. I'm regretting that ever since, but now I think it might just be a really weird problem. I renamed the system image from "System_Image.vhd" to "WindowsImageBackup.vhd". That didn't work.

Then I figured, maybe it needs to be in a certain folder structure. I did some Google searching and made a makeshift folder tree, "WindowsImageBackup" --> "NameOfComputer" --> "Backup" and then I placed "WindowsImageBackup.vhd" in that folder. Didn't work.

This is all or nothing, I really need what's on this system image, and I know for a fact that my system image isn't corrupt. Please, PLEASE help!!!
Bleeping computer!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HTiger

HTiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

My only other question is -- is there a way to select my system image from within Windows itself, presumably on a clean install? Then again, I'm not really sure how I can get from Windows Recovery --> Clean Windows Installation without a system image that has all the data from Windows on it. Uggghhhh.

#3 HTiger

HTiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

GUESS WHAT -- I think I found a solution. Oh Acronis, so wonderful! So apparently Acronis has it's own version of a Boot Disc and I made that on another laptop and it recognized my system image, even though it was in .vhd format, perfectly. Currently restoring my computer.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS PROBLEM, the problem isn't your system image, it's Windows Recovery, which sucks compared to wonderful, wonderful ~~~ACRONIS~~~ all you have to do is make a bootable disc in Acronis and you're all good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users