Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Installing XP onto my laptop

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

I am trying to install Windows XP Home onto my laptop, but whenever I try, it tells me it cannot find a hard drive to install on. However, the BIOS recognises the hard drive and I can install Windows 7 onto it. Is there any way around this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Editor

• BC Advisor
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Hi,

What are your computer specs? Did this laptop come with windows 7 installed? If it did then it is most likely that a driver for your hard drive is not present in windows xp.

sigcomp.png
Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice, that is what our forums are for.
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | BC Welcome Guide | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! | Hang With Us on LockerDome!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,648 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

Laptop manufacturer...and model?

What is the source media you are using...to attempt this install?

Louis

#4 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

It's a Toshiba Equium L300-146 that came with Vista already installed on it. I brought a new hard drive so I could install XP without loosing the Vista just in case anything went wrong. If the hard drive needs a driver, how do you install the driver?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,700 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

You'll need to install the sata drivers during the XP install

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

How do I do that if XP does not even begin to install?

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

If your laptop has a floppy put the drivers on there and press F6 at the start. If not, you can use nLite to integrate the drivers onto your CD.

You can also look around the BIOS and see if there is an IDE mode or compatibility mode for your hard disks controller.

Edited by .X., 01 August 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,700 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

#9 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

That link describes my problem to a T, but it looks like I am going to have a lot of studying to do. My first impression is that this nLite is something that should only be used by an advanced users. It may be several days before I know if it is going to work for me, but I'll let you know if it does, thanks.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,700 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

It couldn't be easier.

#11 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I'll walk your through it if needed. I've been helping users with nLite on another forum for 7 years.

The first thing you should do is plug in a the hard drive that has Vista installed and post a screenshot of your hard disk controllers via Device Manager. Toshiba may not provide drivers for them but if they are say, Intel, they can be easily downloaded from them.

Edited by .X., 01 August 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,648 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

FWIW: http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

#13 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

I'll walk your through it if needed. I've been helping users with nLite on another forum for 7 years.

The first thing you should do is plug in a the hard drive that has Vista installed and post a screenshot of your hard disk controllers via Device Manager. Toshiba may not provide drivers for them but if they are say, Intel, they can be easily downloaded from them.

Yes, I think it might help if you walked me through it. However, I cannot always come online everyday, and when I can, its not usually for very long. I have to go out again right now, so will get back to you tomorrow.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,700 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:18 PM

All you have to do is click on the link in hamluis' post just above yours. You won't have any trouble following the instructions.

#15 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

All you have to do is click on the link in hamluis' post just above yours. You won't have any trouble following the instructions.

All hamluis' link does is tell me what nLite is used for, not how to use it. However, your own link is much more informative and I will be studying that further. I'm sure that once I have used nLite, I will find it very simple to use in future. But right now I am just guessing how to use it. My guess being that I am going to create some sort of copy of my XP CD and then add to it the drivers needed to install XP onto my laptop. The drivers being copied from the Vista installation already installed on the laptop.

But where do I find these drivers and where do I put them on the nLite copy of XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users