Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Won't Start In Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GamerGal

GamerGal

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

I wake up, turn PC on and... it shows the usual startup stuff, the tech stuff about ram, proc, so forth. Goes to the Starting Windows Symbol where those four colors fly up and form the symbol. And then... Blank screen. When it should show the options of Admin or User Name it doesn't. No Mouse, no nothing.

BUT I can load up in safe mode with networking.(How I am on now) So... IDK. Tried a system restore to last date(An update at like 7'30am) and it didn't work. Tried earlier date(29th) and it said it didn't work because an anti virus was running.

I'm hoping you guys can tell me what to do short of a full system restore. I got some space on other HDs for backing up some stuff but it would really suck deciding Dexter Season 4 or Venture Brothers Season 1-4 to save.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Do you get any error messages when trying to boot up in regular mode like files missing and stuff like that?

Try navigating to C:\ via my computer and see if there is a hiberfile.sys file and if there is what is the current date/time of it?

#3 GamerGal

GamerGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

No, it doesn't give me any errors. Just blank screen. At first thought vid card but then it wouldn't load any thing of safe mode would it?

Also, where in C would the hiberfile.sys be?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#5 GamerGal

GamerGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

Uh, it did say it did a windows update/critical update at 7:43am and I think that was when I turned it off before going to bed.(I work nights, sleep mornings/day)

Other then that the only thing I can think of is power went out. I woke up with flashing alarm clock. It was only out at most a minute or two. And my PC was off at the time.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Reboot and as the system begins booting tap the F8 (function) key. When you get to the advance boot options screen try "Last Known Good Configuration". If that doesn't work, boot the the Windows 7 dvd and try the startup repair options.

#7 GamerGal

GamerGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Tried that, didn't work. Got wondering...

My PC and TV are hooked up. When I turned my TV on it had the menus it shows when the power goes out/power cord pulled. So I set it to HDMI and... There is the starting Windows screen.

Some how when the power went out it made the TV Main and my Monitor 2nd. Yep, hours of sleep lost working on figuring out wtf was wrong and all it was was the damn screen config had changed.

Thank you all for helping! And sorry I've wasted space on this wonderful website.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,781 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

No problem - glad you're up and running. Thanks for posting back.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

For future reference the hiberfile.sys file would be in c:\ the root of the drive you may have to have hidden files shown via Folder Options in Control Panel and view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users