Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo mail wants me to change my password

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

Hi All,
This began last night. I went to check my yahoo e-mail account as usual, via my Firefox bookmark, and a window came up saying "We believe your account has been compromised" and asked me to create a new password. I was able to proceed to my Yahoo e-mail but was warned that I was at risk if I did so.

So far I have done an Avast boot-time scan of everything, no infection, Malwarebytes scan of everything, no infection, looked over my zonealarm logs, checked Belarc to see if security is up to date (it is), cleared the cache several times and logged into Yahoo via other means than the bookmark. The same window comes up each time.

Thinking about this, I opened an e-mail a few days ago from a friend who is traveling in Thailand. It was from her real account but it was clear her account has been infected when I opened the e-mail, which turned out to be spam. I am wondering if this somehow has now infected my Yahoo account. There was a delay of several days between opening her e-mail and then getting the Yahoo password window.

This has never happened to me before on any account so I want to make sure that the request from Yahoo is legitimate before I enter my password. Part of me wonders, if my account IS compromised, how do I know that this request will not lead to further problems. Googling this issue or reading within Yahoo help basically yields a variety of responses from different people, from "this is spam" to "this is legitimately from Yahoo."

I do not plan to change my password until I have a clearer understanding of the situation. For now I am checking my Yahoo e-mail despite the warning. I would hate to lose this account. I use it as a filing system for a number of business and personal e-mails. Also, this is the account I use for all business and most social contacts.

I would appreciate help in understanding what is going on and the best and safest way to proceed.
Thanks as always!
Firetooth

Windows XP professional SP3 Firefox 3.6.18 (due to Firefox 4 incompatible with Zonealarm firewall at present)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

I received a notice something like this several months ago. Don't remember the exact wording.
About the time Yahoo started pushing the new version of mail or maybe a little before.
I changed my password and everything , on the desktop seems fine. Even upgraded to the new version when I had to. The lap top however will not sign into that account anymore. rejects password or something. I have even copied the log in info I use for the desktop to a flash drive and cut and pasted to log in screen on laptop. Still can't do it. Made a new account on laptop and that works fine but still cannot sign in to old account on the laptop. Weird

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for comment Nawtheasta. I check this account from friends' computers sometimes, or a university computer, or my phone. It would be a huge drag if I could only access it on my home computer. I will remain cautious until I learn more. Thanks again! Firetooth

#4 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

sorry. was trying to post in the pinned thread for help for topics posted over 3 days ago. Not sure if I did it correctly either time. :oopsign: Firetooth

Edited by Firetooth, 17 July 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hello ,I merged these all together. I suggest we run 2 scans to see if anything was left.
You can akso change your passwords from a different computer.
Are you on a router?

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

Lets check for rootkits...
Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#6 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

thank you Boopme! I am on a direct DSL line. One thing I have noticed is that I can no longer log into my yahoo mail from my cellphone. I don't have another computer handy, would have to go to a friend's house, which I could do soon. For now I will go ahead with the scans and let you know what happens. Thank you again!

#7 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

question: Eset has noted that I have another virus program running (Avast) and that it may intefere. Sorry to be such a newbie about this but how do I turn off Avast? I also have Zonealarm firewall running but it is easy to stop that if needed. Thanks! Firetooth

never mind. found an answer and am proceeding.

Edited by Firetooth, 17 July 2011 - 05:57 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

How to Temporarily Disable your Anti-virus

AVAST
Right- click on the avast! icon in system tray (looks like this: but orange in color starting with v5). Select avast! shields control and there will be options to disable avast for 10 minutes, 1 hour, until the computer is restarted or permanently.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#9 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

Thanks boopme
update: just finished Eset scan with firewall and avast turned off. no threats! Will now proceed to GMER. More soon!

#10 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

tried to paste gmer.log. got message that too big to post. what should I do?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Ok post your DDS and just add that,==> gmer.log. got message that too big to post

#12 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi, what is DDS?

The file would apparently paste on BC but when I would hit post I would get the message that too big, and nothing would post at all. Is there a summary section somewhere in the log?

BTW I pasted the file in Word. It was 88 pages! Could I attach it to a post somehow?

As far as I know, it didn't pick up any problems but I don't know if it mentions them until the program is finished. It ran very smoothly.
I will run it again if you want, with some things unchecked if that would help.

Thanks again for your help! Firetooth

Edited by Firetooth, 17 July 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,323 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Sorry about the DDS ,wrong thread. Ok did ESET find anything? That GMER log is probably cleam amd that is too big to post.

I would like to run an alternate.

Please download Rootkit Unhooker from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
Link 1 (.exe file)
Link 2 (zipped file)
Link 3 (.rar file)In order to use this tool if you downloaded from either of the second two links, you will need to extract the RKUnhookerLE.exe file using a program capable of extracing ZIP and RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can downlaod, install and use the free 7-zip utility.

• Double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
  • Check Drivers, Stealth, and uncheck the rest.
  • Click OK.
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report.
  • Save the report to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the report into your next reply.
-- Note: You may get this warning...just ignore it, click OK and continue: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself! It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?".

#14 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

Thank you for the new link. I will do this tomorrow and post the results. Very happy to have your great BC help! Firetooth

#15 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

okay! downloaded from first link. Checked Drivers and Stealth, scan found no problems here is copied and pasted report:

RkU Version: 3.8.389.593, Type LE (SR2)
==============================================
OS Name: Windows XP
Version 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Number of processors #2
==============================================

ESET also found no problems.

Please let me know any next steps. Thank you! Firetooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users