Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install audio driver in Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WheeMan

WheeMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

I just finished re-building my computer and performed a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). I have not had any trouble getting any of the other device driver to install, but my audio does not work. When I mouse over the volume icon in my notification area, it says "No Audio Output Device is installed." I checked Device Manager and there are no missing drivers. The only thing in Device Manager that looks like anything audio related is the "High Definition Audio Controller".

I looked on the Intel support forums for an updated driver and found one that was for Windows XP/Vista. I tried to install it, but it said that the hardware was unsupported by the installation package. I have also tried to run the driver installer in compatibility mode for both XP SP3 and Vista SP1 & SP2, with no results.

I checked around on some other forums as well and saw a recommendation to update the chipset driver, which I have done. All other drivers and the system BIOS were updated to the latest versions. I also checked in BIOS and the audio is enabled. Also, another recommendation that I have tried is to uninstall the "High Definition Audio Controller" and disable audio in BIOS on next boot, then re-enable it after restarting a 2nd time and let Windows find the driver again.

The relevant specs of my PC are as follows:

Motherboard: Intel DG33TL Desktop Board
- From what Intel says, the audio chip is an "IDT 92xx Series"

Any other thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

Looks like Intel doesn't provide support (drivers) for Windows 7x64 for that particular board.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+3+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Desktop+Board+DG33TL

Sometimes you can get Vista drivers to work (which you have already tried, apparently), but to be honest, updating your hardware is usually the easier (albeit more costly) route.

You could look into just getting a PCI sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008658&IsNodeId=1
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 WheeMan

WheeMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

You could look into just getting a PCI sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008658&IsNodeId=1

Yeah, getting a PCI sound card was my final solution, although I hate to spend the money on a perfectly (otherwise) functioning board. Guess I'll be picking one up tomorrow.

Thanks!

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,813 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, sorry there's not a better alternative.

You're welcome. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hi Wheeman,

This may be a stupid question, but have you checked on the Motherboard's manufacturer's website for the audio drivers - most of them will be able to provide the latest drivers for their mobo's.

Just a thought.
Kevin

EDIT: It was a stupid question - I didn't read keyboardNinja's post before i contracted "foot-in-mouth disease" Please forgive my lapses-PICNIC Ineed!!
Kevin

Edited by Kevin384, 08 July 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#6 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

Hi Folks,
Me again - I've just delved deeper into the Intel archives, and have found that the DG33TL Motherboard has NO Windows 7 support at all: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-008326.htm - just "drivers only"

ONLY for windows 7. This makes no sense to me at all, as there is definitely no audio drivers for Win 7 and not at all for any of thr O/S's either if I reading their table correctly.

I know that this might be a burden, but I suggest you upgrade you system to comply with W7 - I cannot guide you as to what to what and how, I am Far away over the seas.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin384, 08 July 2011 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users