Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8/9 Won't load web pages but Chrome and Firefox work fine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Bronson

Ted Bronson

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

If I connect to my work VPN, then IE refuses to load any pages (inside the work network or outside). It doesn't even appear to try, just goes immediately to "Internet Explorer cannot display this page." I was able to connect to the computer with teamviewer remotely, name resolution worked properly, I was able to ping the web server etc. all fine, even brought the page up in FF and Chrome with no problems. I turned off all add-ins and restarted IE, same deal. If I disconnect from the VPN then IE works fine again.

I was running IE9, I tried uninstalling it but having the same issue with IE8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hey Ted,

Can you check your proxy settings in IE for me??

Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings

Thanks,

BT
-BrendanT

#3 Ted Bronson

Ted Bronson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

That was the first thing I checked :-( The first checkbox (Automatically detect settings?) was checked, as it should be. I tried unchecking it, but it didn't make a difference. The "use a proxy server" box was not checked.

#4 soflanetworking

soflanetworking

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Some Firewalls block internet traffic when connected to the VPN, (its called split tunnels) it is possible that Firefox & chrome are bypassing this, and allowing you to get out, but IE is being stopped by a setting your IT department set up.

#5 Ted Bronson

Ted Bronson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

We don't have any sort of split tunneling set up on our firewall.

This only occurs with this computer, tons of other desktops and notebooks have no problem using IE through VPN or on our LAN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users