Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

aswMBR.exe system crash

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fedoder

Fedoder

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

I am currently being helped because of spyware on my machine at bleepingcomputer. I'm not sure if this is ok to ask another forum about an issue relating to a program I downloaded. I was told to download aswMBR.exe and I ran a scan and posted a log back to my helper(the error was with some kind of kernel). He said to run it again and click fix, however, when I scanned again, I unknowingly clicked "fixMBR" and a warning came up about partitions so I said no because I didn't want to get into any stuff like that. I closed the program and opened it again. I clicked scan and right before it finished my computer went to a blue screen and crashed. I don't want to run the program again because who would want their computer to crash? I hope I haven't permanently damaged, or aswMBR.exe hasn't permanently damaged my system in any way, shape, or form. Just looking for some insight into that crash and the program. Fedoder.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Since you have started to received help here, I would recommend sticking with bleepingcomputer.

#3 Fedoder

Fedoder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

That's what i was planning on, I don't mean to get conflicting opinions, just to find out why my computer crashed as a result using aswMBR. This seemed to be the right place to do that, but if it is not then I suppose this topic ought to be closed.

Edited by Fedoder, 05 July 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

Your log is posted here.

After posting a log and getting assistance, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

The Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean. You have already advised m0le about the issue with aswMBR and he has provided further instructions.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users