Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycler Folder

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cheryl51

Cheryl51

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:41 AM

I guess I will start at the beginning of my troubles. I just got wireless internet and decided to unload some unnecessary files and it had always bothered me to see McAfee scanning all those recycler files so I went into the folder and tried to delete them. Instead of deleting they were being duplicated and now the folder is gone. My recycle bin was empty and did not seem to be working. I do have windows xp and thought I would reinstall it which seemed to solve the problem until I woke up in the middle of the night and discovered my laptop was not in standby after all. My browsers now will not even work with the wireless connection and I am back to dialup which I can hardly get the browsers to stay on long enough to do anything. To top all of this off I now have a vundo virus which I am running a program to get rid of now.

I tried to use the windows xp recovery console but it won't even come up. I feel like my computer is possessed. Could all my troubles be due to the wireless service being on all the time. I guess I just need help to get started in the right direction as I have just messed things up worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:00 AM

The recycler folders are the hidden system storage area of the Recycle bin... that's why deleting ended up duplicating the entries.

Your best bet is to boot up your Win install CD and perform a repair install... this should fix your OS instabilities at least.

Be sure to run your spyware/malware removal tools from Safe Mode.

You need to get yourself a firewall, Win Firewall at the least, Zone Alarm or Black Ice are good free software firewalls, or a router or switch with integrated firewall.

I use a spare PII computer running Smoothwall, a linux-based firewall application with proxy capability, so essentially I have a standalone firewall appliance.
Posted Image

#3 Cheryl51

Cheryl51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:22 AM

Thanks. No one at Dell could really explain what the folder was really for and there were a lot of unanswered questions on their forum. The last time I tried the recovery console repair utility my computer stalled out but I will try again.

Is there no way to get rid of all those thousands of files in the recycler folder? I guess first things first.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:35 AM

An excellent System Restore reference: http://bertk.mvps.org/
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#5 Cheryl51

Cheryl51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

I ran my adaware and mcafee in safe mode and now at least I see an improvement although now I have to authenicate my Mcafee before every use. That I can deal with. My wireless connection also now works. I will wait awhile and take note of anymore error messages as I know those are important to solve problems. Hopefully I am making progress as before I was seriously thinking of just getting a new laptop.

#6 Cheryl51

Cheryl51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

I am slowing getting my computer back on track but have not been able to install the updates windows says I need. I got a message to delete sp2 and reinstall and did that but now all the other updates to that will not install.

Before uninstalling sp2 the message said downloading had stopped due to an unstable system. What can I do now. I have downloaded the software recommended, spybot, adaware, and sygate firewall to go along with my mcafee. Things are running a little better but it really bugs me that I cannot get those updates loaded from microsoft.

#7 Cheryl51

Cheryl51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

For others that may have had a similar problem I decided to try to download all the updates again and although at first it seemed like they were all failing there were some that did download. I restarted my computer and then it did finally download the updates that had failed before.

Now for the original question, how can I get rid of all those useless files in my recycler folder. Every pic I have ever looked at on a website is in it along with other stuff I just do not need. You said that if I tried to delete it would just copy them. There has to be a way to get rid of them forever.

#8 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:38 AM

Did you right-click on the recycle bin and tell it to empty?
Posted Image

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:33 AM

Our member The Trip posted this tip some time ago:

Open up your Local Drive (C:/)
Go to
RECYCLER
->NPROTECT

Hilight all the files
Hold shift and press the Delete key

Make sure you hold shift...otherwise the files just go right back where they are.

These Files are temporary I know, but they clear up a hell uv a lot of disk space. I was down to 4 gigs, but now its up at 8.

Not sure if that will help but just thought I would throw that in.

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****
When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users