Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

harddrive disk failure eminent popup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 al57

al57

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

here the problem I got a popup window that says your hard drive failure is eminent backup your computer. so I created a backup
disk uninstalled windows 7 reinstalled 7 booted up and got the same message The message reads disk drive failure is eminent
back up your computer press f1 to continue. My question is how do I get rid of this message. Tried Dereks boot and knuke
and was only able to wipe 15% of the hard drive Any suggestions on fixing this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Well...I'd say that it could mean one of the following:

a. Someone doesn't know the difference between "eminent" and "imminent" and probably developed a malware program which is currently on your system.

b. If the spelling were correct, it's possible that it could be a legit message.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=85311

Louis

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

>>>...I got a popup window that says your hard drive failure is eminent backup your computer....reinstalled 7 booted up and got the same message....My question is how do I get rid of this message.....Any suggestions on fixing this problem?<<<

The COMPLETE message should tell you the answer... Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your had disk and have it replaced.
It's not the message that needs to be rid of... It's likely the HDD.

Worth reading: Receiving S.M.A.R.T. status bad backup and replace error. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000184.htm

Cause

Hard disk drive is bad or is going to fail soon.
Solution

Backup your information and contact the manufacturer of the computer or hard disk drive for replacement or additional help. In some very rare cases the S.M.A.R.T. implementation on your computer may have issues of its own and may need to be patched before replacing the hard drive.

If I am receiving the S.M.A.R.T. error, is it ok if I continue to use my hard disk drive and do not replace it?

As stated above, S.M.A.R.T. is designed to detect upcoming failures in the hard disk drive. While it is possible that the hard disk drive may not fail for several months, it is still inevitable that the hard disk drive will fail. It is ok to continue to use the hard disk drive, however, we highly recommend that if you are still under warranty that you consider getting the drive replaced before your warranty runs out.

I would test the current hard drive with the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic tools and proceed from there:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Edit to add: I just saw Louis's post...Of course! It could very well be Malware, good work Louis!

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 July 2011 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users