Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNCONTROLLABLE OPTICAL MOUSE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pburrier

pburrier

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2004 - 11:16 PM

HELLO FINE FOLKS AT BLEEPING...

I RECENTLY SET UP MY SISTERS NEW DELL SYSTEM. SHE PURCHASED A USB OPTICAL MOUSE THAT READS "HID COMPLIANT." I AM NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS BUT I HAVE A SIMILAR SYSTEM FROM DELL PURCHASED A FEW MONTHS AGO WITH THE SAME MOUSE.

OUR MICE... SEEMINGLY MOVE AROUND FINE FOR A BIT AND THEN YOU MOVE LEFT OR RIGHT OR WHEREVER YOU ARE TRYING TO GO AND YOUR POINTER IS GONE... AS IT JUMPS AROUNDS SPORATICALLY WHICH HAPPENS TO VERY ANNOYING.

DELL TECH SUPPORT LEAVES A TAD TO BE DESIRED BUT EVENTUALLY THE TECH OFFERED TO SEND HER A REPLACEMENT MOUSE. I AM AFRAID THAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE THE SAME.

I HAVE PLAYED ALL THE MOVES I COULD THINK OF.. I'VE GONE TO CONTROL PANEL, SLOWED IT DOWN, GONE INTO MY COMPUTERS AND INTO DEVICE MANAGER THEN CHECKED MOUSE, DRIVERS AND USB PORTS EVEN.

I HAVE EVEN UNINSTALLED AND INSTALLED THE DRIVER BUT TO NO AVAIL - MY DILEMMA CONTINUES.

IS THIS A DELL THING? A MICROSOFT MOUSE THING? OR AN "ID-10-T (IDIOT)" ERROR OR WHAT?

YOU ALL HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A GODSEND AND I TRUST YOU MAY KNOW THE MAGIC TO THIS FIX.

MY HIGHEST REGARDS ALWAYS,

PATTY BURRIER

Edited by pburrier, 28 October 2004 - 11:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 29 October 2004 - 08:19 AM

Might just be a dell thing. I am not fond of dell but thats doesnt mean anything. Try plugging it into a old mouse port(forgot whats its called o ps2 port) and see if that works. Most mice come with USB now but have a usb to ps2 port adapter in the box. I dont think that will help but give it a whirl!

CGM3

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

Does the mouse pointer seem to move more often when you have music or other sounds playing? I know when I play I-Tunes, the mouse pointer wants to move around alot from the bass. With an optical mouse, it would pick it up even more. Even though you may not need a pad with the optical mouse, it may lessen the amount of travel from outside noises.

Even slight movements on the desk will make it move. Try tapping your fingers on the desk while not holding your mouse, and you will see what I mean.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 kevinc

kevinc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:07 AM

I have also had a lot of problems with our optimal Dell mouse, but that's because our kids have dropped several times... Somehow we figured out that if you use if LEFT handed it works, but not when you use it right handed. Does not make any sense to me, but it works!

#5 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:41 AM

Good Morning.
I have had a similar problem.It is caused by the laser,that's what i think called,reacting to a shiny surface.It sends the cursor scatty.
Worth a try anyway.
Regards

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• BC Advisor
  • 2,305 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:17 PM

Yes I have to agree the Dell optical mouse does NOT work well with the Dell mousepad.Go for a solid dark color and that should help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users