Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searchfilterhost.exe - application error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Olf

Olf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi Everbody,

I hope someone can help me with this problem.

A "SearchFilterHost.exe - Application Error" Box keep appearing. It states: "The instruction at (different values) referenced memory at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program".

It seems to have appeared after I cleaned up a virus and used a registry cleaner afterwards. Windows restore, registry repairs, different virus scanners etc. have not been able to change the popups. They are infrequent and do not seem to have any links with certain programs running.

I would be grateful for any help

JBR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/0321bed5-a9ad-49bf-b8e8-5bde8a05753f/

If you have Windows Search 4.0 installed...I would uninstall it.

Louis

#3 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

search service disable

#4 Olf

Olf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I previously today uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Search 4 but it didn't fix the problem. Wouldn't uninstalling the program totally cause a lot of problems with organising data etc? While it was uninstalled it affected outlook, explorer etc.

JBR

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,856 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

I didn't suggest reinstalling...it's a worthless system home when installed on XP, IMO...it's designed for Vista and Win 7 and it adds nothing to XP's functioning efficiently.

I installed it some time ago, tried it for a few days...uninstalled it. My system did not disintegrate at all, I experienced no ill effects. It's not a mnadatory program, it's not even a part of Windows XP...until someone installs it. That is counteracted by uninstalling it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-files/i-would-like-to-remove-windows-search-40-from-my/7f043b7c-2b32-4193-9906-53bcee6a3f6e

Louis

#6 Olf

Olf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

Dear Louis,

Very interesting, however, if Search 4 is not installed what takes care of indexing and organising outlook, Media Player etc???

The link you gave me is "not available"?!?

Thanks for helping

JBR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users