Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't set pictures as wallpaper in Windows Photo Viewer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndyGarr

AndyGarr

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

Whenever I download an image and open it on Windows Photo Viewer, I can't set it as my background wallpaper. I right click "Set as desktop background", and I get this message:

This image can't be set as wallpaper. An internal error occurred.

I am running on Windows 7. I have tried doing this with multiple images, does anyone know how I can fix this?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

After a bit of searching, the fixes below worked for many.
Unable to change background Windows 7 Home Premium - Microsoft Answers
I found it by clicking the start button, then click "computer" button on the right hand side of list which comes up. Click on the "C" drive. Then double click the folder named Users, then double click on the user name which you are using when having this problem. Then double click AppData folder, then double click Roaming folder, then double click Microsoft folder, then Windows folder, then Themes folder. The Themes folder has a slideshow file and a transcodedwallpaper file. I deleted the transcodedwallpaper file and then I went to see if I could change the background and I could.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally found a fix, accidentally of course, but so obvious once I did. The C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Themes files - slideshow and TranscodedWallpaper - were marked read-only (duh... that's why my changes wouldn't stick).

I found this when I tried to manually save the picture I wanted as Trans... and to delete all of the extra code above [Slideshow2] (and delete the 2) in the slideshow file.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 AndyGarr

AndyGarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

Hmm... I deleted the TranscodedWallpaper, and tried to set the Windows Photo Viewer image as my desktop wallpaper, but I still got the same error. I noticed that once I tried to set the Windows Photo Viewer image as my wallpaper (which was unsuccessful), the TranscodedWallpaper file would reappear in the Themes folder as my current wallpaper.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

There are 11 pages of comments in the link I posted. Several suggestions.
Here is another one from page 10:

Hello my Friend! If your Windows 7 Background Theme is not changing (stop working), please don't get frustrate!. Window 7 is your friend... I assure you. You can solve this error without any registry entry or with out any remote assistant help either. Here you go... Open "run" from start button and type 'Action Center' without quotes. and click 'Troubleshooting' under find and fix problem and then click 'Appearance and Personalizationion' A new wizard will pop up. Just Click the First "Aero" and click 'Next' then be cool and wait for about 1 minute. All your problems with Background Theas will be resolved to the default state Amazingly. Thanks.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users