Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free sound recorder/toolbar

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 altan

altan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

I downoaded free sound recorder and then couldn't get rid of it.

I then downloaded SpyGuard to try and get rid of it. I then couldn't get rid of that.

Eventually, with instructions from another site I downloaed and used Malbytes, SuperAntispyware and Avira Antivirus to get rid of them.

By this I mean, I was able to uninstall them from the uprogram list in the install/uninstall folder as well as the icons from desktop and the folders in the start window.

Two things concern me though. First is that the name free sound is still an option (I think) on my Thunderbird toolbar (it is unchecked and I don't want to risk activating anything by messing with it).

Secondly, the final step in the instructions I followed from Remove-malware.com included pasting a command in the Run program, and use xp security console. But I found that neither the command nor program works in Vista.

I went to the Microsoft page linked to the instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

but it's all gobbledy goop to me.

The last time I ran the above mentioned antivirus programs all I got were a tracking cookies (I think that's what it said they were).

So, my questions are:

How likely is it that I have gotten rid of the above the programs - and if not:

In simple layman's terms, how can I check and delete any security restrictions that may have been inserted by free sound, and/or spyguard

Also, is there anything else I should do that I've missed?

I'd appreciate any help you can give

al :whistle:

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2011 - 10:34 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 voxpop

voxpop

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

HI ALL
i managed to uninstall 'free sound recorder' but CAN'T seem to get rid of the toolbar in t-bird v8.0. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
firefox v 9.01

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

Many toolbars, Add-ons, screensavers, and weather monitoring programs come bundled with other software and can be the source of various issues and problems. They usually can be removed via Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7, so always check there first.

If using Firefox or Google Chrome, please refer to:These are instructions from the vendor: How to Hide/Remove Free Sound Recorder Toolbar in Web Browsers
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 altan

altan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

Thanks quietman7

appreciate your taking the time to help