Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thank you -- "Unhide exe" program displayed files hidden by fake Windows 7 Recovery virus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bluestem

bluestem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

My computer was hit with the fake Windows 7 Recovery program. I did not purchase the fake program, but nevertheless it took me 7 hours to get my system back in shape, working through online forums. I had almost restored my computer, but I couldn't locate some files even with a data recovery program. I did a Google search on the virus, hoping I might learn more about its characteristics and I found the Bleeping Computer site, which mentioned that the virus hides files, and it had a link to an unhide.exe program. I downloaded the program, and it worked! My files are visible again and I am able to access them. I just want to say thank you for this program!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

Our pleasure to help :)

#3 MachSchnell

MachSchnell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hello I am new to the forum. I would like to add that I too was hit by this Windows Recovery virus this week and my wife and I used this website to resolve this virus issue. So thank you very much! All of my files from the desktop are now visable again, however the iTunes folder is not. Whenever I plug my iPod or iPhone in, the iTunes program launches as normal. However, if I close iTunes and go to the program files from the start menu it says "empty". I am running a Dell Dimension 9200. Thank you for your time.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,521 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

MachSchnell, read this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic402124.html/page__st__15__p__2284383#entry2284383

#5 MachSchnell

MachSchnell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for your time Grinler, unfortuantely the suggested link did not solve the problem. Most of my desktop shortcuts were restored initially using the "unhide" program. iTunes is still not visible, but the greater problem is that in the start menu, all of my program files show "empty" when you try to open them. Any thoughts? I ran "unhide" again to see if it would have any more luck, but to no avail. Appreciate your time.

I am running XP, btw.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,521 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Running unhide wont hurt anything, but its more important to make sure you copy over files/folders from the smtmp folders to the appropriate folders.

#7 mainst4

mainst4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

Found solution to this here Worked like a charm. Only thing it didn't mention is to reboot after for the registry changes to take place and "release" the desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users