Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting ready to sell old computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rschap1

rschap1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

How about this scenario...
The kid's old dinosaur just got replaced by a little newer bargain refurbished unit.
He got the older one from the mother in law who did use it for her business.
It is kind of a piecemeal set up that someone built for her quite a few years ago.
I would love to just wipe it clean and fear that I really should do that before getting rid of it or selling or anything else. Older AMD processor 3/4 gb RAM and runs XP. I installed a wireless card, it has a network card, and a modem. I do NOT have the restore disks or anything like that. Hoping that I wont have to spend hours downloading drivers or replacing anything if I was to do format on the hdd. Any ideas or programs for cleaning, wiping clean w/o eliminating drivers or the OS?
I have manually tried to just go through and erase what looks disposable, no need to save anything any longer as all the data has moved to new machine...the new came with restore disc that I believe has XP on it too...

APPRECIATE it! ! !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

get a new harddirve and reinstall the OS and drivers on it

DON'T sell a used hard drive !!!!!
some data can be restored even if you erased it

Ccleaner has drive wiper tool in it that try to remove data permanently

try it

my advice never sell a used hard drive

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#3 rschap1

rschap1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for that
I am concerned that I would have to purchase both a new hdd and a new OS
I know what you are saying about no hdd ever being really erased, but not sure if there was anything of any value on this ever. If it was, it has to be near 10 years old now, so guessing that any data would do little good to a "thief" now...?? Maybe I will check with Mother in Law too.
I did hit cnet and got Ccleaner and Cleaning Agent. Sounds like the Agent has a few tools to let you select what you want to clean and what you want to keep. I may try that. Just worried about deleting the OS (I only have the decals on the machine with authentification #s, no discs or anything)and drivers for any of the hardware. I do not want to have to search all over for replacing those.

THANKS for the help!!!
And advice!
Appreciate it!!!

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

You do realise that when you format a hard drive you erase it, all of it, not just part.

That means you will have to reload Windows and all drivers and programs.
The restore disk will not work on your other machine as they are make/model specific.

You could wipe it clean then donate it to a school or something like that.
They typically have IT people that can get it back running again.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,443 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

There are programs to completely eradicate data from a Hard Drive, but they are not for the feint of heart.

I use DBAN (Deriks Boot And Nuke) to erase old drives, infected drives, drives in PC's being given to goodwill, etc. It erases the Data then rewrites the entire platter with 0's and 1's, I set it for 5 passes (wipe, write cycles) which is more then enough to eliminate your personal data.

Here's the catch(s) depending on drive size and computer speed it can take a very long time (my 1TB drive took more then a day if i remember correctly with my dual core, My grandma's 60gb took 6 hours with her 10 year old P4) and it can destroy the drive completely due to the amount of heat generated with a continuous read/write/erase loop, like DBAN uses

OS reinstall is not require for goodwill donation.

Posted Image

#6 rschap1

rschap1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:15 AM

The donation deal after format may be what I do.
I have not had much response to my for sale ad, so...

AGAIN, THANKS for everyone's help and ideas!!!

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

A format does not remove the information on the drive. It just makes it very difficult to get to. If the information has not been wiped or wrote over it is still there. If anybody with the time and money wants it they can get it. Most peoples hard drive information is not worth the cost to gather. It cost in the thousands of dollars to pay a company to do this.

#8 rschap1

rschap1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

Well...

I am back at this again.
Thought I was done, but not quite yet:)
Swaying heavily towards the donating deal, but if I could wipe this clean first, I may try and sell it still.
The case does have an XP sticker with key # and everything on it.
I had the idea that I may be able to burn a restore or backup disc for the OS, format the "C" drive, then restore it with a clean install for a better selling point.
Seems like my last couple of laptops I did something like that with since manufacturer did not include any recovery software and suggested it.
Can this same type of disc be created in an older XP machine?
I looked through the system tools and restore functions without seeing much of anything besides how to create a restore point. I am really not interested in any of the data, drivers, added programs or apps being saved, just the OS for re-install after formatting the HDD.
I did a few searches without any real answers... :(
Anyone know how to create a XP back up or restore disc?
Hopefully I am explaining this weel enough...

THANKS in advance:)

#9 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

Another idea, what I do with my old units, is reformat the drive and place an OS on it, then use it for a stand alone storage device. I've got two ancient machines that I do that with. They are old and slow, but they got huge drives and that is what I need.

AE

#10 rschap1

rschap1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for that, and I will keep it in mind, but...
I got the son a 1GB external USB HDD for his storage needs on his new computer.
I really want the physical space and want to get the stuff out of his small bedroom for him.
And, putting the OS back on the machine is where I am having my troubles.
This old set up only has a 20GB HDD.

THANKS ! ! !

#11 evilnalmut

evilnalmut

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

I have a similar situation. My mom and I both have some older computers that we are not sure what to do with. They were hand-me-downs from a friend who may have built them, and we do not have any of the operating disks to reinstall the OS. After a wipe would anyone want to buy a computer without an operating system? If not would a wipe be the best way to go or should I simply destroy the hard drive to save time and energy? Unless it would be worth it to get some discounted licenses for an Operating System and reinstall before donating or selling. What do you think?

#12 rschap1

rschap1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

I keep thinking (hoping that there is some way to create your own back up CD, or re-install just the OS on a clean hdd. No way to do that? It is a legit version of XP, the cert. of auth. and serial numbers are legit...no other way around just formatting C and leaving it empty???
Thanks again!

fingers crossed ! !

#13 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

To Me this reads like a Mystery Novel with the last chapter ripped out...

Did the OP resulve the issue??
Did The OP sell or donate??
Was the Op able to create a operating Disk??
Was the OP able to wipe the HDD clean??
I'm curious by nature....

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

If the key sticker is still on your computers and nobody else is using the product key on another computer you don't have to buy anything. Find a friend that has a Windows disc that matches that sticker, (XP-Home/XP-Pro). Install Windows and use the key to make Microsoft happy. When you buy Windows what you really are paying for is the sticker that has the legal product key. If the sticker is gone you will have to buy Windows to get a new legal product key.Their are programs that you can use to get the legal product key right off the hard drive. The key stays with the computer not the person.

Edited by Layback Bear, 09 October 2011 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users