Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defragment

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mother Ship

Mother Ship

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

My computer is running really slow. I removed a few programs and documents today that I never use. Would defragging it help? I also ran clean up. What else can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mother Ship

Mother Ship
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Also how do I defrag

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

In 98 its start - programs - accessories - system tools - defrag.
It made a big difference in 98.

Edit: You might also want to try SpyBot Search and Destroy to check for malware. Its one of the few programs left that work with 98.

Edited by Eyesee, 26 May 2011 - 04:26 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

The other reply mentioned you were running Win 98, but I don't see that anywhere on your post.

This procedure has proven to be very effective over the years, but I don't recall if it was applied to win 98, so you may have to adapt it to that OS (or if you have XP, Vista or Win 7 you should be fine).

0. Ensure the Hard Disc Drive is not damaged or faulty.
Solution - Run CheckDisk:
a. Start> Computer >select C Drive>Right Click C Drive>select "Properties">"Tools" > click "Check Now"> Select both boxes and click "Start".
b. This can take a long time, so let it complete (may take all night or longer. Be patient.)

1. Ensure your PC has as much memory (RAM) as possible.
Solution -- Find out how much RAM your PC has:
a. Go to Start > Right Click "Computer" > Properties
b. This will list the processor type and speed as well as how much RAM is installed and what version of windows is running along with the Service Pack #. Write all this down as it may be needed later.
c. Go to Yahoo.com and input your PC's name and model # followed by "memory" and see what's listed. This tells you what kind of memory you need and how many "Sticks" your PC will accept.
d. Note the specs of the memory and use this to compare prices.
e. Get the maximum amount of memory your computer can hold and install it (you can Yahoo! "How to install memory on a (your model name and #)" to find some videos on how to do this.

2. Ensure the PC is protected.
Solution - Update existing Anti-Malware software or install if there are none.
a. Open the Anti-Virus program;
b. Ensure it is up to date.
c. Open the Anti-Spyware program;
e. Ensure it is up to date.
d. If no Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware, get good programs (SpyBot is good as mentioned by the other reply, but it won't work well with other anti-spyware programs. Another alternative is Ad Aware. Use one or the other).
e. If getting another AV program, remove the old one before installing the replacement one.

3. Remove Malware from your PC
Solution - Run the Antivrus and then the Antispyware scans (can take a while if never done. Be patient):
a. Scan the whole system with the Anti-Virus;
b. Do whatever it recommends with anything it finds.
c. Scan the whole system with the Anti-Spyware;
d. Do whatever it recommends with anything it finds.

4. Next, ensure the Registry is clean.
Solution: Get and run a good registry cleaner.
a. Check to see if there is a registry cleaner already on the system;
b. if none, get CCleaner. Search it or go here: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
c. Run the Registry cleaner till it finds and corrects all errors.

5. Now you can defragment the drive.
Solution - Get a good third party program that will defrag your drive and keep it defragmented.

Fragmentation is basically broken-up pieces of files and free space randomly scattered all over your disk. The disk has to work a lot harder to save files in pieces and then to find them again and this really slows your computer down. It also wears out your disk, as the more the disk is used, the faster it wears out.

Basic defragmenting finds all the pieces of a file and puts them together, saving time.

Windows has a built-in defrag tool in the accessories area under "All Programs", but it is very slow and you cannot use the PC while it is running (some users complain that it did not completely defrag their disks despite running all night).

a. Here is a Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs around:

http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

b. Select a program and install it. The better defrag programs are automatic. The gold medal winner in the above review defragments while you use the PC and it will also prevent fragmentation.

You can get a free trial for the gold medal winner via the review or at the site listed below.

c. Defragment your disk drives. The best defrag programs are very fast. You will be able to see the progress and with the gold medalist, you can defrag and use the PC while it is working with no problems.

Once this all is done, your PC will be in the best shape possible.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions (post your questions and I'll answer then as best as I can).

Bill R TechSpec

#5 neell

neell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:19 AM

My computer is running really slow. I removed a few programs and documents today that I never use. Would defragging it help? I also ran clean up. What else can I do?

You could also try keeping the startup list very trim. Besides that download security updates on time (automate it). Defragging will definitely help. In fact defragment regularly. (You can automate this task also by using a program that can be set to run in the background). If you google, you can check out various free trial options.
Make sure you have sufficient RAM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:50 AM

I believe a few comments would be appropriate.

Mother Ship, since you've posted in the Win 95/98/ME forum and Windows 95 is no longer really a viable OS, it's reasonable to assume you're using Windows 98 or ME. Please confirm this if you'd like further assistance.

There are a lot of things that can contribute to a system running slowly, from hardware (eg BIOS settings wrong slowing CPU, hard drive in PIO mode or developing high data error rate) through software/file system (eg full hard drive, fragmentation, un-necessary software loading) to malware (however 9x/ME is fortunate that current malware typically targets exploits that exist in the NT codebase).

It is wise to check drive integrity before defragmenting, but if you're using Win9x/ME, the drive checker will be called ScanDisk. Likewise, if you're using Win9x/ME, RAM requirements are modest, and in fact too much memory can cause problems.

Win9x/ME has no firewall, so if such a system is being used on the internet, a firewall program should be installed. As Eyesee commented, anti-malware programs for an older OS are limited. I always used Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware together without any difficulty, but it is quite a long time since either has been worthy of general recommendation in comparison with more capable programs, which may not run on non-NT Windows.

Neither I nor BleepingComputer recommend the use of a Registry Cleaner. At best their claims vary from debatable to snake-oil, and whilst CCleaner is often considered the least undesirable, I've seen too many anguished appeals for help with a registry damaged by a cleaner to ever suggest someone risk it.

Defragmenting is a useful process, and can help file access times significantly, but can fail to run or take excessive time if the drive is very full. In this situation freeing up drive space may give even more improvement. The Windows Defragmenter is quite adequate for most home users, and I suggest paying for a commercial alternative would be rather wasteful as there are excellent free options if you really want. Defragmenting can be over-esteemed - it doesn't need to be done frequently unless a system is heavily used and frequent install-uninstall cycles occur, and complaints the drive is not completely defragmented are usually due to not understanding what matters and what is of no significance. Fragmentation of files won't significantly increase wear on a hard drive, in fact if this was so, the process of defragmenting would cause huge wear to drives.

Edited by Platypus, 27 May 2011 - 05:53 AM.

Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

@ Platypus

Guess Aussies think alike?

I rarely share my PMs but this one to Mother Ship, I certainly will. I, like you, was worried about it so I sent a PM to say exactly this.

Drovers Dog

Distinguished Member
PipPipPipPipPip

Group: Members

Sent Today, 09:08 PM
I suspect you have WIN98, or around there?

Can you Post back to show just what System you have? That means the actuall Operating System.

It tells you when it first starts up.

We need that Basic thing, really.,

Then you will get the Help you want, that you need.

Some peope just assume, but the REAL Helpers need positive Information before they commit themselves to Advice that may hurt you or your Computer.

If in doubt please PM either myself or anyone of the Moderating Staff shown down the Bottom of the Main Forum Page.

This truelly is a very friendly Forum.

Ray.

Sometimes a simple PM can make people feel Special, but it also can get Information. Isn't that what a Family does? I think BC is a Family.

I just came through a worrying Time and can see again, so I guess I know what a Family can do in time of need. I just want to pass some of that back towards my Family.

BTW, nothing is perfect yet. I seriously can only work on one thing at a time, then back away if it Stresses me out.I still have to rest and take my time between Medication, so I move quite sowly, for my own good.

Please be aware of that?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 27 May 2011 - 06:42 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,618 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

Ray, I do recall you were having health worries, and I'm glad to hear you've made some progress. I think BC is one of the most friendly tech forums and we try hard to give people the best help we can.
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

#9 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

Ray, I do recall you were having health worries, and I'm glad to hear you've made some progress. I think BC is one of the most friendly tech forums and we try hard to give people the best help we can.

Can I ay this, then back on Topic?

Sometimes Medical Advisers have different opinions and Medicication?

To an intellegent Person and their intellegent General Practioner Doctor, if that is so apparent,IF some thing is wrong? Why would that be Ignored? It was certained done so. More to come later.

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#10 Mother Ship

Mother Ship
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

[color="#FF8C00"]Ok yall are going to think Im crazy. I really dont know much about computers. Ha ha. Our computer repair man had left an icon on our other computer. I was like, what is this? And here I am. So now I want have to bug him. Sure he want be happy that I found you guys. Anyways I have Windows XP Professionals. Sorry for the mix up. Like I said Im new to this. Thanks so much for all the help.

#11 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

Thaks for Posting back, Glad you got it worked out.

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 27 May 2011 - 11:20 AM.

What is a Dog?

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,447 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

You have several threads going in the Xp forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic399960.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic399840.html

Is all this related somehow?
It gets really difficult to follow when there are multiple treads going.
Helpers might reply to one and not see the other which might be important.

Please try to keep all issues to one thread, particularly if they all involve the same computer.
Its much easier for continuity.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

As mentioned it would help if you told us your OS?

If its Win98 then your better of downloading and using the WinME Defrag its a lot faster, Google it.

http://wittswallpapers.com/MyArtic/defrag.html

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,618 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

I have Windows XP Professional

Then the general principles are the same, defrag is useful but it's just one aspect of having a system run well. The XP defragmenter is adequate for most people, it's a limited feature version of Diskeeper. XP does benefit from having adequate RAM fitted to the system - 512MB is a workable amount (less cramps things) but it can take full advantage of up to 3GB and usually part of the extra available with 4GB.

Edited by Platypus, 27 May 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:02 AM

Just a little add on to Platypus.

This little Free one has saved me many times with All OS.

It is totally inform sensitive, takes up NO Resources and is simple to run, control is always in YOUR hands. You click NO,that is it!

It works perfectedly up to Vista, but from there on, maybe someone can check it out and Post back? It certainly WILL NOT Hurt an OS. (Operating System)

Simple Program written by Steven Gould, called CleanUp, even has Audio effects like a Toilet flushing.

I recommend that people use it, daily, for a week and just see the Crap it removes, then defrag after it, each day, you will notice a huge difference in your performance.

No! I am not connected in any way and certainly am not a Spammer, I loathe them, like we all do, but a GOOD Program is worthy of mention here.

Just check it out and make up your own mind?

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

Those with WIN7, Feedback would be great for me, by Post or PM.

I am like you and all of us, just want to Learn and exchange knowledge.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users