Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EasyFix Tools

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Snigglefritz

Snigglefritz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

My darling hubby, the computer idiot, has downloaded a program called "EasyFix Tools" on to HIS laptop......I found it on his desktop last night when I went to run updates and Malwarebytes. I have installed on his computer--Norton 360, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and CCleaner. None of these are picking up anything so I hope he's still clean....but I am not familiar with "EasyFix", never heard of it before, and after his Windows Recovery mess last week, I'm leery of anything new HE installs or downloads. Am I being overprotective or should I uninstall the little sucker right away?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,505 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

Appears to be just another of those programs promising to "clean your registry" to users who don't seem to realize that the registry doesn't require cleaning.

http://www.easyfixtools.com/

For the record:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#3 Snigglefritz

Snigglefritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

Thank you, Louis. That answer was very helpful, along with the links! I appreciate the quick response. :thumbup2:

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

If you go to the Easy Fix link Louis provided, their "about" page eventually leads to Easyfix Tools Affiliate Program announcing a "page has moved or changed" dialogue. Clicking on the Affiliate Program link opens a page for CheeseSoft Affiliate Program Posted Image Registry Easy Affiliate Program--which brazenly proclaims:

"1# Converting Registry Cleaner Site On ClickBank Earn 75% ($30+) Commission Per Sale + Extra Bonuses!"

Registry products are an excellent sell to almost any demographic because registry problems affect every computer user!
RegeasyCleaner.com Team does the best to improve software quality and tweak the website copy to make affiliates get the best conversion.
If you have any advice or question, feel free to contact us affiliate(at)cheesesoft(dot)com.

These registry/optimizing/one-click cleaning programs are nothing but snake-oil, IMHO

Edited by Union_Thug, 25 May 2011 - 05:06 PM.

#5 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hi folks!

I realize this thread is almost a year old now but since the thread came up as the 2nd link in a google search for Easyfix Tools I felt it pertinent to add the following:

Easyfix Tools is considered to be 'Rogue security software'. You'll find it in the list of rogues as EasySpywareCleaner, EasyFix Tools in the following link:

List of rogue security software

Once the program is installed onto your computer it will scan and list fictitious errors the program found on your computer and entice you to purchase the full version of the program to remove the fictitious errors that it found.

Registry cleaners, rogue or not, should never be used for the following reasons:

There have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy Posted Image

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought."
Tom Robbins

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

Bottom line: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. "Cleaning" the registry of a few stray entries/dll's will effect a ZERO/ less than assignable quantitative performance gain. Deleting the wrong entry can have a DEVASTATING effect. Risk vs reward,YMMV, Caveat Emptor, etc...

Just my .02 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users