Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Malware Virus - Empty Folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ritchertism

Ritchertism

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hi,

Recently i got this virus and i THINK i removed it.. i used MalwareBytes to remove the virus, but when i rebooted, the folders were empty, the wallpaper was black, the icons on the taskbar were white icons.
When i rebooted, the virus was still there so i manually deleted it and the virus stopped.
I read through the forums and tried out some of the solutions for the similar problems, but so far nothing has helped.

Some of the files are back because i went into the folder properties and unchecked the box, but most of the folders are still empty.
Im not completely sure if i completely removed the virus.

Wondering if i could get some help.

Please, and Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

What OS (Windows 7, Vista, XP) are you using?

The symptoms you describe can be indicative of a side effect from the HDD Defrag family of rogue security programs which changes file attributes to "hidden", making them appear invisible so the user thinks some of their files have been deleted. Newer variants of the FakeHDD rogue delete Quick Launch and Start Menu items/folders.

Please download unhide.exe by Grinler and save to your Desktop. Double-click on the file to run the tool.

After running it, all files will have the "hidden" attribute removed. This includes files that are normally hidden by the operating system and any files you may have intentionally hidden. The tool is designed not to remove hidden attribute for system files. If Quick Launch and the Start Menu were deleted, unhide.exe will attempt to restore them back to their proper location. When done you will need to restore the hidden attributes to those files manually. To do that, open Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View and make that change there.

Note: Do not clean out your temporary files/folders until this issue is resolved.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 drjanda

drjanda

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Quiteman 7. thanks for the post. It ALMOST worked perfect.

I have the same problem. Was infected with Antimalware Doctor. Used rkil and malware bytes and then avg. I too THINK that the virus is gone, but was left with empty start menu folders and an absent quick launch bar.

I just finished running unhide.exe. My quick launch bar has returned, but NOT the program files in the start menu. I diabled my antivirus software and ran unhide.exe again. ...no change. Start menu folders still read "empty"

any other thoughts on retruning the start menu to it's original state. I ran Malwarebytes again. It didn't find any threats. Should I use a different scanner? Could my computer still be infected?

thanks for the help Quiet man.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,838 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Welcome to BC drjanda

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users