Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc /scannow won't complete

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hello everyone !

I desperately need your help !

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X500 14H ! After few days of buying it, I started having problems: extremely slow at start-up and after, almost unusable and sometimes it freezes .. first I though it was virus but it turned out to be a faulty hard disk drive after a bad long week of battle with sfc /scannow and chkdsk ( turned out to have bad clusters ). Anyway I sent it to Toshiba support and they said they replaced the hard disk.

It has been few weeks now but I was still suspicious so I tried to run chkdsk on C: that will ask to reschedule at reboot, but after reboot it cancels directly. The same problem happened with me before and what made it work was a registry value : changing "autocheck autochk *" to "autocheck autochk * lsdelete" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute but this time it didn't work so I recovered it to its original state. I tried sfc /scannow and it is stopping at 34% saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.". Therefore I tried sfc /verifyony and its result was "Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations".I checked the cbs.log and found the following error :

2011-05-16 15:29:51, Error         		CSI	00000120 (F) c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] #2396110# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysReadFile(h = 298 ("\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll"), evt = 0, apcr = NULL, apcc = NULL, iosb = @0x88cbf0, data = {l:0 b:}, byteoffset = 589824 (0x0000000000090000), key = (null))
[gle=0xd0000185]
2011-05-16 15:29:51, Error         		CSI	00000121@2011/5/16:12:29:51.931 (F) d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp(2155): Error c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysReadFile expression: (null)
[gle=0x80004005]
2011-05-16 15:29:52, Error         		CSI	00000122 (F) c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] #2396109# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CFile_IRtlFileTearoff::ReadFile(Flags = 3, Buffer = {l:0 ml:65536 b:}, Offset = 589824 (0x0000000000090000), Disposition = 0)[gle=0xd0000185]

So it seems like the file Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll is corrupted ? Where can I get a clean copy to replace it ( that is if it is corrupted ) ?

Your prompt is really appreciated !!!

Meanwhile I am going to try to make chkdsk work somehow and I will keep you up-to-date !

Have a nice day !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Major update :

I have just fully ran a chkdsk check by rebooting the machine, choosing "repair your computer" via the F8 command during start-up, launching the command prompt mode and running the following command :

chkdsk C: /F /R

At the end of the check, the command prompt displayed the following message : "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems".

Hence I am pretty sure this is no faulty hard disk this time.

Any ideas ?

#3 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Any suggestions ? Please ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

I have difficulty deciphering what those errors might mean.

Per my interpretation of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd834197.aspx, it looks like a driver problem...but that's just a guess since I don't understand just what that link is saying.

Sfc doesn't check drivers for hardware...if the reference is for Windows drivers...the method for solving is too technical for me.

<<After few days of buying it, I started having problems: extremely slow at start-up and after, almost unusable and sometimes it freezes .. first I though it was virus but it turned out to be a faulty hard disk drive after a bad long week of battle with sfc /scannow and chkdsk ( turned out to have bad clusters ). Anyway I sent it to Toshiba support and they said they replaced the hard disk.>>

I think that it's time to call again...new systems are not supposed to have this type of problem.

Louis

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

See if PassMark will help you http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2014
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

Hello everyone !! Thank you for your replies ! I appreciate it :thumbsup: I was beginning to think that no one will ever answer my questions on bleepingcomputer, I already tried to seek help once and no one replied for two weeks, I figured it out at the end.

Thank you both for your replies ! Well it is the same for me :blink: I did not quite understand what type of error is that, I just knew that the file is corrupted, and that file is located in " Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll " as indicated in the log. I took a look on the url you provided and I do not think this is the case of a driver problem. What makes me say that is, well first of all, the file name is XpsPrint.dll and I do not have any printer installed, and second of all, there are no symptoms what so ever of a malfunctioning driver, and third of all, I ran the chkdsk tool for the hard disk drives and the windows memory diagnostic tool for the RAMs and both results were clean !

I absolutely agree with you, that a new system is not supposed to have this type of problem. The first time, it was a hardware problem ( bad sectors in the hard disk drive ) and the laptop was slow and freezing. However, the faulty hard disk drive has been replaced by toshiba, and the laptop is running smoothly now. I do not believe that this is a hardware problem anymore. The laptop is no more slow, nor freezing randomly, however it does go slow JUST when the corrupted file is being accessed: meaning when i try to run a full scan, as soon as the antivirus / anti spyware begins scanning this 1.3 megabytes file, the laptop becomes slow and might freeze if I try to use it ( browse, run applications, ... ) because the hard disk drive indicator ( LED ) is on all the time, meaning the antivirus / anti spyware is going crazy trying to access this corrupted file for scanning. It usually take about 30 minutes to 1 hour just to scan this file.

I followed the instructions posted HERE . It shows how to troubleshoot missing or corrupted files on windows vista or 7, with the sfc /scannow or sf /verifyonly command. However I followed something else to track the log file of those commands: instead of executing this command " findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt " which did not show me the error result I displayed in the first post, I executed this command " copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt " which will make a copy of the entire log, because one cannot directly browse the log ( it will not open what so ever, access is denied ) and I manually searched the file ( that is one LONG file ! ) in order to find the error.
In addition, in the url I provided above, a method is proposed to repair a file that the command sfc /scannow cannot repair. I just followed and it worked ! Here is what I did:

• Start -> type cmd -> right click -> run as administrator.
  • Type " takeown /f Path_And_File_Name " and press enter. For my case I first changed the current working directory with cd command to the folder containing the corrupted file: " cd .. " , because the current directory was C:\windows\system32 and the file path is Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll , then " cd winsxs " , then " cd amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693 " , because the corrupted file is there , then " dir " to make sure that the file XpsPrint.dll is there. See Screen1.jpg attached . Then I entered the command " takeown /f XpsPrint.dll ". Since this means accessing the corrupted file, and after I waited like 10 minutes the result was : SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C"\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll" now owned by user **** ( I replaced my username by stars ). See Screen2.jpg attached .
  • Type " icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F " and press enter. For my case I entered " icacls XpsPrint.dll /grant administrators:F ". I waited again about 10 minutes and the result was : Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files. It seems like windows is making grammar mistakes :P ! See Screen2.jpd attached .
  • I have an other computer running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits version. I searched the file ( supposedly clean and not corrupted because I am having no troubles what so ever, plus I ran sfc /verifyonly just to make sure and windows found no integrity violations ) XpsPrint.dll in the same path and found it. I copied it to the desktop of my laptop so now the clean file XpsPrint.dll is in C:\users\****\desktop\XpsPrint.dll . So I went back to cmd prompt and entered " copy c:\users\****\desktop\XpsPrint.dll XpsPrint.dll " which will copy the clean file into the corrupted one. After about 10 minutes, cmd asked me if I want to overwrite and I types yes. See Screen3.jpg attached .
It worked ! I replaced the corrupted file with a clean one ! B)
Just to make sure, I restarted my laptop, and ran sfc /verifyonly in an elevated command prompt and the result was : Verification 100% complete. Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

The problem is solved :thumbsup: !! I hope it is, everything is indicating that it is solved !

Thank you all for your help and time !

Attached Files

Edited by Leeeeeeelo, 21 May 2011 - 05:40 AM.

#7 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:47 AM

PS:

I am beginning to think that this corrupted file originated from the Windows 7 SP1 update I did not long time ago, since the second error is involving the following file :

d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp(2155)

A file that, first all of, is not in the windows partition, second of all, is a c plus plus file, third of all, is no longer there, which is the case for most of windows updates ( they download the updates installers on another partition, then use them to install the updates which was SP1 version of windows 7 in this case, and then delete the installers download once the update is done ).

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

FWIW: Windows installs a default printer option, even if one is not connected.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd145058(v=vs.85).aspx

If you go to Control Panel/Printers...you will see verification of this.

Sooo...yes, it is a driver, a printer driver...which is part of the Windows install.

Louis

#9 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hello Louis,

Thank you for your reply ! I didn't know that , in fact I never though about or noticed it , thank you for the update , I appreciate it :thumbsup:.

Have a nice day !

Best Regards,

Leeeeeeelo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users