Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc /scannow won't complete

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hello everyone !

I desperately need your help !

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X500 14H ! After few days of buying it, I started having problems: extremely slow at start-up and after, almost unusable and sometimes it freezes .. first I though it was virus but it turned out to be a faulty hard disk drive after a bad long week of battle with sfc /scannow and chkdsk ( turned out to have bad clusters ). Anyway I sent it to Toshiba support and they said they replaced the hard disk.

It has been few weeks now but I was still suspicious so I tried to run chkdsk on C: that will ask to reschedule at reboot, but after reboot it cancels directly. The same problem happened with me before and what made it work was a registry value : changing "autocheck autochk *" to "autocheck autochk * lsdelete" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute but this time it didn't work so I recovered it to its original state. I tried sfc /scannow and it is stopping at 34% saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.". Therefore I tried sfc /verifyony and its result was "Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations".I checked the cbs.log and found the following error :

2011-05-16 15:29:51, Error         		CSI	00000120 (F) c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] #2396110# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysReadFile(h = 298 ("\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll"), evt = 0, apcr = NULL, apcc = NULL, iosb = @0x88cbf0, data = {l:0 b:}, byteoffset = 589824 (0x0000000000090000), key = (null))
[gle=0xd0000185]
2011-05-16 15:29:51, Error         		CSI	00000121@2011/5/16:12:29:51.931 (F) d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp(2155): Error c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectFileSystemProvider::SysReadFile expression: (null)
[gle=0x80004005]
2011-05-16 15:29:52, Error         		CSI	00000122 (F) c0000185 [Error,Facility=(system),Code=389 (0x0185)] #2396109# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CFile_IRtlFileTearoff::ReadFile(Flags = 3, Buffer = {l:0 ml:65536 b:}, Offset = 589824 (0x0000000000090000), Disposition = 0)[gle=0xd0000185]

So it seems like the file Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll is corrupted ? Where can I get a clean copy to replace it ( that is if it is corrupted ) ?

Your prompt is really appreciated !!!

Meanwhile I am going to try to make chkdsk work somehow and I will keep you up-to-date !

Have a nice day !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Major update :

I have just fully ran a chkdsk check by rebooting the machine, choosing "repair your computer" via the F8 command during start-up, launching the command prompt mode and running the following command :

chkdsk C: /F /R

At the end of the check, the command prompt displayed the following message : "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems".

Hence I am pretty sure this is no faulty hard disk this time.

Any ideas ?

#3 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:37 AM

Any suggestions ? Please ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 47,357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

I have difficulty deciphering what those errors might mean.

Per my interpretation of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd834197.aspx, it looks like a driver problem...but that's just a guess since I don't understand just what that link is saying.

Sfc doesn't check drivers for hardware...if the reference is for Windows drivers...the method for solving is too technical for me.

<<After few days of buying it, I started having problems: extremely slow at start-up and after, almost unusable and sometimes it freezes .. first I though it was virus but it turned out to be a faulty hard disk drive after a bad long week of battle with sfc /scannow and chkdsk ( turned out to have bad clusters ). Anyway I sent it to Toshiba support and they said they replaced the hard disk.>>

I think that it's time to call again...new systems are not supposed to have this type of problem.

Louis

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

See if PassMark will help you http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2015
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

Hello everyone !! Thank you for your replies ! I appreciate it :thumbsup: I was beginning to think that no one will ever answer my questions on bleepingcomputer, I already tried to seek help once and no one replied for two weeks, I figured it out at the end.

Thank you both for your replies ! Well it is the same for me :blink: I did not quite understand what type of error is that, I just knew that the file is corrupted, and that file is located in " Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll " as indicated in the log. I took a look on the url you provided and I do not think this is the case of a driver problem. What makes me say that is, well first of all, the file name is XpsPrint.dll and I do not have any printer installed, and second of all, there are no symptoms what so ever of a malfunctioning driver, and third of all, I ran the chkdsk tool for the hard disk drives and the windows memory diagnostic tool for the RAMs and both results were clean !

I absolutely agree with you, that a new system is not supposed to have this type of problem. The first time, it was a hardware problem ( bad sectors in the hard disk drive ) and the laptop was slow and freezing. However, the faulty hard disk drive has been replaced by toshiba, and the laptop is running smoothly now. I do not believe that this is a hardware problem anymore. The laptop is no more slow, nor freezing randomly, however it does go slow JUST when the corrupted file is being accessed: meaning when i try to run a full scan, as soon as the antivirus / anti spyware begins scanning this 1.3 megabytes file, the laptop becomes slow and might freeze if I try to use it ( browse, run applications, ... ) because the hard disk drive indicator ( LED ) is on all the time, meaning the antivirus / anti spyware is going crazy trying to access this corrupted file for scanning. It usually take about 30 minutes to 1 hour just to scan this file.

I followed the instructions posted HERE . It shows how to troubleshoot missing or corrupted files on windows vista or 7, with the sfc /scannow or sf /verifyonly command. However I followed something else to track the log file of those commands: instead of executing this command " findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt " which did not show me the error result I displayed in the first post, I executed this command " copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt " which will make a copy of the entire log, because one cannot directly browse the log ( it will not open what so ever, access is denied ) and I manually searched the file ( that is one LONG file ! ) in order to find the error.
In addition, in the url I provided above, a method is proposed to repair a file that the command sfc /scannow cannot repair. I just followed and it worked ! Here is what I did:

• Start -> type cmd -> right click -> run as administrator.
  • Type " takeown /f Path_And_File_Name " and press enter. For my case I first changed the current working directory with cd command to the folder containing the corrupted file: " cd .. " , because the current directory was C:\windows\system32 and the file path is Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll , then " cd winsxs " , then " cd amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693 " , because the corrupted file is there , then " dir " to make sure that the file XpsPrint.dll is there. See Screen1.jpg attached . Then I entered the command " takeown /f XpsPrint.dll ". Since this means accessing the corrupted file, and after I waited like 10 minutes the result was : SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C"\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-printing-xpsprint_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17578_none_098c4a392817e693\XpsPrint.dll" now owned by user **** ( I replaced my username by stars ). See Screen2.jpg attached .
  • Type " icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F " and press enter. For my case I entered " icacls XpsPrint.dll /grant administrators:F ". I waited again about 10 minutes and the result was : Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files. It seems like windows is making grammar mistakes :P ! See Screen2.jpd attached .
  • I have an other computer running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits version. I searched the file ( supposedly clean and not corrupted because I am having no troubles what so ever, plus I ran sfc /verifyonly just to make sure and windows found no integrity violations ) XpsPrint.dll in the same path and found it. I copied it to the desktop of my laptop so now the clean file XpsPrint.dll is in C:\users\****\desktop\XpsPrint.dll . So I went back to cmd prompt and entered " copy c:\users\****\desktop\XpsPrint.dll XpsPrint.dll " which will copy the clean file into the corrupted one. After about 10 minutes, cmd asked me if I want to overwrite and I types yes. See Screen3.jpg attached .
It worked ! I replaced the corrupted file with a clean one ! B)
Just to make sure, I restarted my laptop, and ran sfc /verifyonly in an elevated command prompt and the result was : Verification 100% complete. Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

The problem is solved :thumbsup: !! I hope it is, everything is indicating that it is solved !

Thank you all for your help and time !

Attached Files

Edited by Leeeeeeelo, 21 May 2011 - 05:40 AM.

#7 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:47 AM

PS:

I am beginning to think that this corrupted file originated from the Windows 7 SP1 update I did not long time ago, since the second error is involving the following file :

d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp(2155)

A file that, first all of, is not in the windows partition, second of all, is a c plus plus file, third of all, is no longer there, which is the case for most of windows updates ( they download the updates installers on another partition, then use them to install the updates which was SP1 version of windows 7 in this case, and then delete the installers download once the update is done ).

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 47,357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

FWIW: Windows installs a default printer option, even if one is not connected.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd145058(v=vs.85).aspx

If you go to Control Panel/Printers...you will see verification of this.

Sooo...yes, it is a driver, a printer driver...which is part of the Windows install.

Louis

#9 Leeeeeeelo

Leeeeeeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hello Louis,

Thank you for your reply ! I didn't know that , in fact I never though about or noticed it , thank you for the update , I appreciate it :thumbsup:.

Have a nice day !

Best Regards,

Leeeeeeelo.

#10 forthanking

forthanking

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

Thank you so much for posting your solution, Leeeeeeelo! I ran into exactly this problem with the computer of someone who has a habit of letting the battery drain until the computer turns off, then starting it again without plugging it in. The computer was having some very strange freezing behavior where it wouldn't even open task manager when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed, even though some other things were still running.

Two files ended up being corrupted in C:\Windows\winsxs . Sfc stopped at 22% intially, and once the first file was fixed, at 42%. Replacing the files with versions from a working computer solved all the strange issues!

I think sfc has problems with at least some of the files in C:\Windows\winsxs , which is why it provided the generic error instead of listing the files with the problems. Permissions maybe?

I imagine what happened to this computer was corruption due to improper shutdown / loss of power--maybe it shut down while updates were being installed at startup?

Again, thanks--your post saved me a ton of time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users