Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Windows Defender Service

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pac0daTac0

Pac0daTac0

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

I've had this issue for a couple weeks now, my Windows Defender service is not located in the services.msc file. So I get the 0x80070424 error stating that Windows Defender is not an installed service. I did some searching online and I saw a forum where there was a similar issue with Defender not working, except he was running on the Vista OS,here. The Microsoft tech person gave step-by-step instructions on how to manually add registry keys to restore the Defender service. I was wondering if these instructions, along with the "fix.reg" file that the tech person said needed to be used, would also work with the Windows 7 OS? Also, one of the steps explained that I would need to create a notepad file to paste the registry key info into. She said that "notepad D:\fix.reg" would have to be typed in the start search bar to create it. Then, after pasting the registry info, it should be saved as "D:\fix.reg". I'm not quite sure what this means, since it looks like she's directing me to save it onto my D drive, then run it from there. So yeah, I have these 2 questions: 1.) Can these instructions work for Windows 7? And 2.) What is meant by saying to save it as "D:\fix.reg". Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

You're not really missing anything.
Windows Defender is rather worthless piece of software.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

You're not really missing anything.
Windows Defender is rather worthless piece of software.

+1

#4 Pac0daTac0

Pac0daTac0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

I'm aware that Windows Defender isn't all too great but the computer that this problem is on is a work computer. Since this computer isn't mine per se I'd like to get it back to the original working order.

Edited by Pac0daTac0, 13 May 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

this problem is on is a work computer

In that case, notify IT people. You shouldn't be really monkeying around someone else property.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,984 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:54 PM

Try reinstalling, after uninstalling via Add/Remove Programs...it's probably damaged.

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Louis

#7 Pac0daTac0

Pac0daTac0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

Since Windows 7 has Defender already installed I'm unable to uninstall/reinstall it. I realize it's something that's best left for the IT guy but I was seeing if there was a way for me to get it fixed myself since he's either out of the country on business or too busy dealing with other issues that are more pressing.

#8 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

he's either out of the country on business or too busy dealing with other issues that are more pressing.

If you don't know what you're doing, you might create a bigger problem for the IT guy to fix.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#9 Pac0daTac0

Pac0daTac0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Yeah I know, which is why I haven't touched anything. I thought that an experienced member here would be able to walk me through it a bit though. I'm not at a level of an IT guy but I have worked long enough on computers to know how to do certain things and, more importantly, know what not to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users