Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Packed.Win32.krap.hc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#16 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

I disabled spybot, but I still have my original, major problems:
1. On startup, only avast loads in the system tray, not zonealarm or spybot like they are supposed to, until they load, I can't access the internet.
2. when switching between users, there is a discernible wait, sometimes 30 seconds, instead of just a few seconds.
I still think there must be something else lurking, causing this sluggishness.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 14,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

OK, for the time being, Avast will provide enough protection. Please uninstall Spybot and ZoneAlarm, then reboot and let me know if you can access the internet immediately and if responsiveness improves. Your logs appear clear of malware but it could be a hangover from that infection.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

unite_teal.png
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#18 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:27 PM

It looks like ZoneAlarm was the culprit. I first removed that and rebooted. Avast and Spybot loaded right away and I was able to access the internet with no problem. Was ZoneAlarm corrupted by the malware? Would it be safe to install a new version of it now?

#19 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• 14,293 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Hi, great news! It could be corrupted by the virus, or a recent update means it could be conflicting with another program. You can try to reinstall. Let me know how it works at that point and we'll move on.

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

unite_teal.png

#20 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Reinstalled ZoneAlarm, everything seems to be running great. Thanks!

#21 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• 14,293 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hello, doodah12.

Step 1

Next, we need to update Java.
Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 25..
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) or Java™ in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version(s) shown below:
    Java 6 Update 22
    Java 6 Update 23
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u25-windows-i586-s.exe to install the newest version.

Step 2

Ok, good news. Your log appears clean. Let's clean up our mess. If your computer is running well; please do the steps listed below. At the end, I've also listed a few completely optional things you can do to further secure your computer. Safe surfing!

Uninstall ComboFix and Clean Up
Click Start > Run and type combofix /Uninstall click OK (Note the space between combofix and /Uninstall) See below:
Posted Image
Please advise if this step is missed for any reason as it performs some important actions.

Download and Run OTC

We will now remove the tools we used during this fix using OTC.
  • Download OTC by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • If that link doesn't work, try this one.
  • Double click Posted Imageicon to start the program. If you are using Vista, please right-click and choose run as administrator
  • Then Click the big Posted Image button.
  • You will get a prompt saying "Begin Cleanup Process". Please select Yes.
  • Restart your computer when prompted.

If you ran Defogger and disabled your emulator, please don't forget to run it again and reenable it. See the instructions here to do so.

Optional Items

Please take the time to read below to secure your machine and take the necessary steps to keep it that way.

System Still Slow?
You may wish to try StartupLite. Simply download this tool to your desktop and run it. It will explain any optional auto-start programs on your system, and offer the option to stop these programs from starting at startup. This will result in fewer programs running when you boot your system, and should improve preformance. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, please right-click on the icon, and select "Run As Administrator"; otherwise it won't work.
If that does not work, you can try the steps mentioned in Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

Protect yourself from malicious sites

The HOSTS file can protect you from connecting to bad sites. See The Hosts File and what it can do for you for more background.

Please download HostMan. It safeguards you with a regularly updated Hosts-file that blocks dangerous sites from opening. This adds another bit of safety while surfing the Internet. For installlation and setting up, follow these steps:
  • Double-click the Downloaded installer and install the tool to a location of your choice
  • Via the Startmenu, navigate to HostsMan and run the program.
    • Click "Hosts" in the menu
    • Click "Manage Updates" in the submenu
    • Out of the three, select atleast one of the three (I have MVPS Host as my main one)
    • Click "Add Update." After that you will only need to click on the following button to retrieve updates:
      Posted Image
  • Click the X to exit the program.
  • Note: If you were using a custom Hosts file you will need to replace any of those entries yourself.

Keep Windows Up to Date
It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Update your AntiVirus Software

It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. If you use a commercial antivirus program you must make sure you keep renewing your subscription. Otherwise, once your subscription runs out, you may not be able to update the programs virus definitions.

Make sure your applications have all of their updates

It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Use a Firewall

I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

Install an AntiSpyware Program

A highly recommended AntiSpyware program isMalwarebytes Anti-Malware. You can download the free version..

Installing this program will provide spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should scan your computer with an AntiSpyware program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

Update all these programs regularly
Make sure you update all your programs regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released. You can use Secunia PSI to keep track of necessary updates. It can run in the background and constantly monitor your software; although I just run it once a week manually. It will alert you when an update is available for a variety of software. It is very useful.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Good luck!

etavares

unite_teal.png

#22 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• 14,293 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

unite_teal.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users