Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson Printer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 donel

donel

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

OS Window 7. Several days ago Trying to open Epson folder from start menu crashed system. Running Malwarebytes scan crashed system on Epson files. Trying to uninstall printer resulted in uninstall icon disappearing but files remaining. Removed files and some registry keys and folders manually with Epson help, but many files and registry keys with Epson remained. System would then crash when reloading drivers. Epson gave me little additional help and blamed operating system. Microsoft,I paid for services, spent 4 hours on the computer, did little managed to crash it several times. Last 3 attempts, by Microsoft, resulted in system only starting in safe mode. I gave up on them. Found it was the printer spool service causing start up crash. Turned service off. removed all traces I could find of bad reinstall, used Regedit to remove all Epson registry keys and folders and turned Spooler service back on, I could then start computer in normal mode. But when I tried to reload drivers, system crashed and I have to repeat the whole process. Malwarebytes now works scan is infection free all my other programs are doing OK Including my other printer. This printer is my expensive 8 ink wide bodied printer, Epson R1800, I use to print my photos. I can't give up. Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

I can help you out on this if you can provide more information about your issue.
What do you mean your computer crashes when you install the Epson drivers?
Are you using the drivers from the disc it came with or downloaded from support.epson.com?
Are you running a 32 bit or 64 bit os?

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#3 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:50 PM

Crash means BSOD. After cleaning the computer of all things Epson (Files & registry) I then went back and tried to reload the Epson drivers from Epson's site on the internet using the same set of drivers that I have been using for the past year. The only ones offered. The drivers seem to install ok but then the system shuts down with the same BSOD I can't read it it goes by to fast. on rebooting if you try to use the printer or even try to open the epson folder from the start menu the same thing happens all over again. The printer is not new it came out during Windows Vista reign, but it is expensive to replace and prints my large photos well. I sell those prints or did.

#4 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

I see.
Before aynthing else, make sure to disconnect the printer from your computer.
Anything related to Epson found in your Programs and features, make sure you uninstall them completely. (Epson PrintCD etc)
After that,
Check this location:
C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 and C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 Folder
(You need to delete all files starting with a letter E)

Then try to double check this following registry items.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Epson (delete epson folder)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Epson (delete epson folder)

Reboot and try reinstalling using the downloaded driver from:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Overview&oid=14121

Select the Epson Printer driver 32 bit or 64 bit(depends on your system)

Let me know if its still giving you a BSOD. And if it does, please provide the stop code error (0x0000xxxx) etc

Edited by booterbotter , 03 May 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#5 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have cleaned the registry and the program locations. The Driver package you directed me to is the very same one that I have been working with. I now have additional information: I have disconnected my hard drive from the system replaced it with a new drive, installed Windows 7 Home Premium on it. Added all the updates including Service Pack 1. The only additional program I loaded was a combination utility and Virus protection program called System Mechanic. I checked for Windows errors with "Event Viewer" found none, created a new restore point and tried to load the Epson drivers (with the printer unattached, of course. The system crashed on installation with the same BSOD, which I still cannot find a way to read, On rebooting there were several messages to read in Event Viewer. I am in the process of sorting them out. My guess is that something loaded from Service Pack one, sees something in that driver package that it considers dangerous and shuts down. If this were a cheap printer I would get another but this one cost me $600 when I got it and I have another $200 in ink inventory sitting in my desk. The printer was released as a Windows Vista printer but quickly issued Win7 drivers. I use it in USB mode.

Edited by donel, 04 May 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#6 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the update Donel.
Lets try to isolate the issue. Since you did use a new hard drive onto your computer, how about trying to install the printer on another computer? If that works then we sure know the printer ports (usb and hw) works.
If it doesnt, then it really has something to do with that update you had in Vista or a certain part in your computer.

#7 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

I guess I didn't write it on this site. I have a Toshiba laptop running Win7 as well It also has all the updates. The drivers crashed on loading there as well. That's essentially 3 computers same result. The printer worked well under Vista and when I upgraded to Win7 a year ago. As I said it worked well up to about the time I loaded Service Pack 1.I may be able to reset the new computer hard drive to just before uploading to Service pack one. If that works then I'll know. That's a lot of work but it will be worth it.

Edited by donel, 04 May 2011 - 10:04 PM.

#8 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

I see. Happening on 3 computers seems to be an incompatibility issue with the Epson drivers and Windows 7 SP1 update.
Have you tried reporting this issue with Epson?
Here is their contact information:
562)276-7296 and 562-276-1397
Mon.- Fri 6AM-8PM (PT)
Sat. 7AM-4PM (PT)

I used to work there so I do know the process regarding these kind of issues, this is why I was puzzled that this is happening on 3 computers and still no updated drivers nor fixes from Microsoft. :o

#9 donel

donel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

I have a feeling I may have made a mistake but I'm not sure what. I removed SP1 from the new disk and started the computer. Even though The Epson R1800 was not connected to the computer Windows reported and installed drivers for a new printed called "ESC/P Win7" I think that's the wording. At this point I "updated to latest version from the Properties screen of that new printer. It found and loaded the R1800 drivers by itself and the printer worked. I reinstalled SP1. The printer still worked. I have been slowly adding my other programs making sure I create restore point along the way; so far the printer still works.
With the first computer. The printer was working after SP1 but when I opened the Epson folder from the Start Menu the System crashed for the first time. With the second printer, the Epson drivers were never added until after SP1, there was no "ESC/P" printer added and I tried to load the drivers directly from the Epson site, the same package you recommended. Should I have connected the Epson to the computer, let windows find it's own driver for it and then "Update" the new drivers from the properties window of that Windows printer?? Is the package I loaded different from the properties window then from the web site? I can't tell you how unnerving this whole experience has been.

#10 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

I understand that. It happened to me once, knowing Windows 7 dealing with printer drivers and other devices; you can do that. What I mean is you plug in the printer, let windows detect a driver, go to the printer properties and there is an option that will say update drivers from there. If it is being detected as ESC/P or ESC/P2, it should work when you update the driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users