Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP Error 0x0000008E (BSOD) upon login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saturos1

Saturos1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

Hello all,
For quite some time previous to now, I have been having a redirect virus from every search engine on every browser I have checked.
(the odd thing was, this started after a reformatting of my hard drive).
I looked on the google forums about unexpected results and found that several people said that a program called HitMan Pro (v3.5 i believe?) fixed it for them. I looked it up on Cnet, and got it. when I ran it, it found four things, and I had it fix three (one was a false positive)
When I restart I get a BSOD with this error somewhere near the bottom middle:

STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x81DF5A75, 0xA5D7495C, 0x00000000)

Then it says something about a crash dump.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
P.S. Hitman Pro did fix the redirect. and before I did this i would occasionally get a BSOD with something about a file called 'atapi.sys'

Edit: I am currently running my computer in safe mode. I don't know how necessary this information is though.

Edited by Saturos1, 25 April 2011 - 06:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

Worth a look, IMO: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x0000008e.htm

Louis

#3 Saturos1

Saturos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

I've tried a few of the things on that page, here is a checklist of my results from that page.

1. restarted with no help.
A.I've tried to startup with Last Known Good Configuration.
B.System Restore wasn't turned on for some odd reason, and I don't know what turning it on now will do.
C.I could not find what file I need to rollback. I saw a file called 'atapi.sys' on a BSOD before, and I looked for something that resembled that, but found four ATA(?) drivers.
3.I am unable to check my RAM because I do not have any clean cd's to burn memtest 86 to.
4.The only thing that is changed from how I originally got it is the hard drive, I had to have it replaced.
5.I am going to check my BIOS settings next to see if resetting them will help.
6.Windows Auto Updater does not even show a window when I try to run it.
7.STOP troubleshooting. Trying that later. It looks like a lot more stuff, like reseating stuff, that I have no clue what it is, or if I can do it on this laptop.

I just noticed this, but, when I load my computer in safe mode, thisAttached File  BootUpImage.jpg   11.98KB   2 downloads pops in the bottom right of the screen after I click on a bubble that says something about updating drivers.

Edit: Windows memory diagnostic is like a generic memtest 86, right?
Well I ran that through 8 full cycles and it found nothing wrong. I guess I'll go look at the other stuff about STOP troubleshooting, and post back what happens.

Edited by Saturos1, 27 April 2011 - 08:18 PM.

#4 Saturos1

Saturos1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:00 AM

I know this is not even on most peoples' list of options, but I'm just going to reinstall windows. Thanks for your help Louis. :)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users