Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for free antivirus software with low resource use

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

As the title says, I need good free antivirus software for a very old computer. I am currently using Microsoft Security Essentials, but the CPU usage stays around 50-100% whenever I am Web surfing or searching for files on the hard drive. My previous antivirus software was AVG 8.5, which had almost no CPU usage unless it was scanning. I was forced to update because it stopped updating on January 1.

Today, I was notified of a Hosts file hijack on my backup drive (I have a custom Hosts file and keep a backup of it in case I need to reinstall Windows). When I checked the Hosts file on my main hard drive, I discovered that many entries had been removed, even though all entries in the file are known malware hosts. The antivirus software is actually keeping me less protected! The CPU usage problem was bad enough, but this problem means that MSE has to go.

The computer has a 1.2GHz CPU and 768MB of RAM, so many antivirus programs will slow this computer to a crawl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

Use either Avast or Avira from our list here L@@K
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

:oopsign: I didn't see that.
I'll try Avast.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

No problem..it's why we have Moderators :lol:
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#5 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

I just downloaded Avast (from another computer, of course), and it downloaded a file called combofix.exe as well, which that computer's antivirus software immediately deleted. I'm not sure if that was the real Combofix or not, but either way it shouldn't have downloaded without my permission. What caused that?

Edited by lti, 22 April 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer

I can't imagine where you went that that happened.

Go here and select the Free version/.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

NOTE uninstall AVG after downloading Avast and save it to the Desktop. . After the uninstall then reboot and install Avast

Edited by boopme, 22 April 2011 - 06:47 PM.

#7 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

That's exactly where I downloaded it. It downloaded two files, the Avast installer and Combofix. I did not choose to download Combofix. I wonder if it was malware that came from an infected advertisement or if it was the real thing.
Avast is currently installed and seems to be faster. It didn't mark my custom Hosts file as malware or remove any entries (as MSE did). I don't have a network cable right now, so I can't test its performance while Web surfing or register it. I should have a cable later this evening.

Edited by lti, 22 April 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

I am looking at the link now.
As that should not be happenning you should be sure that CFix is off your Computer as it would be bogus amd dangerous.

Remove Combofix .
Click on your Start Menu, then Run....
Now type combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Notice the space between the "x" and "/".

When shown the disclaimer, Select "2"
This will remove files/folders assoicated with combofix and uninstall it.

I would also run this after Avast has completed.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

#9 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

It seems to be fine. It only downloaded a file called combofix.exe onto my flash drive, which that computer's antivirus software deleted immediately. It did not actually install ComboFix onto the computer.

The computer I used to download Avast keeps getting hit with infected advertisements, but it is my parents' computer and I am not allowed to install any software onto it.

Edited by lti, 22 April 2011 - 07:51 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:04 PM

OK,I see. the flash Drive may be infected and is infecting the Other PC.

If XP Download and Run FlashDisinfector

You have a flash drive infection. These worms travel through your portable drives. If they have been connected to other machines, they may now be infected.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

When you plug the drive into the clean computer make sure you hold down the SHIFT key, which will stop any AutoRuns from executing. You can then run this tool:

Running On a clean Comp
You would need to run sub's flash disinfector on the clean computer first and hold down the shift key before connecting the external drive.

#11 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

I ran Flash Disinfector on this flash drive several months ago because of its ability to create a hidden autorun.inf file. That should have prevented an infection, right?

Anyway, the computer I installed Avast on is running much better. I'm typing on it right now and the CPU usage is not very high. I don't see advertisements on this computer because I'm running Firefox with NoScript. The other computer is using Internet Explorer 8 and desperately needs an ad blocker.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Yes is FD is already there then Autorun Inf is blocked..

In that Freeware list I linked to earlier,i believe there are a couple adblockers.

They should run MBAM on that one if you're not allowed.

#13 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

In that list, I only saw pop-up blockers. I was looking for something similar to AdBlock Plus.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

Yeah thats the best but you need to buy it after the trial. I did :)

#15 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

I'm not sure what you were trying to say. I haven't had to pay for AdBlock Plus. I want to find an Internet Explorer equivalent of AdBlock Plus for another computer. Should I make another topic for this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users