Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Explaining the Dangers of ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ayeohx

Ayeohx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

My buddy works for a large company that runs ComboFix at the drop of a hat. I need to give him info to convince his company that it's not a good idea to do so. So far I don't really have much proof other than a few personal hells caused by my own misuse of ComboFix.

Here's my short list of issues that occurred after running ComboFix. Please confirm if you have also had these issues or if the issues that I seen were possibly related to something other than ComboFix.

- Spyware removal resulting in bluescreen on reboot.
- Explorer.exe will not start after reboot.
- Customized HOSTS file replaced with default HOSTS file.

Remember, I'm not trying to bash ComboFix. I know it's a great tool. I just need proof that it's not a cure-all for every PC issue.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

Perhaps having them read this will enlighten them a bit.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

Combofix's disclaimer clearly says it is meant for for private use. The developer did not intend for his tool to be used any other way and it certainly was not intended for those running a computer business or for use in a business/corporate environment.

When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

Let them read a few examples of what can happen if ComboFis is used in an unsupervised environment:

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 Ayeohx

Ayeohx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

A fantastic list, qm7. Thanks, much appreciated.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

You're welcome.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic