Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast HTML:Script-inf False Positive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Avast today updated its definitions and introduced a false positive that labeled legitimate, and non-malicious, sites as infected with the the HTML:Script-inf threat. This would cause pages not to load properly while Avast issued warnings. Some of the sites affected by this false positive include Wikipedia, Yahoo, PCWorld, and Youtube.

Reports indicate that the culprit are the Avast definitions numbered 110411-1. A later update, 110411-2, appears to have resolved this false positive. So if you are receiving the HTML:Script-Inf alerts, please update your Avast in order to resolve this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bshane06

bshane06

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

For those who can't understand computer tech lingo or language, 'click' "Update Program" under the Maintenance tab. I am one of those who can't. :) Hope this helps, too.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 40,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Thanks bshane06 :) That's right.

#4 pinkdrejna

pinkdrejna

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

I had that exact thing happen to me. I did update avast to its latest version, however when I run a scan now, it still tells me I have thousands of files infected with "HTML:Script-inf".

The current engine and definitions update on my Avast is 110413-1 and the current version of my program is 6.0.1000.

Any advice on how I could stop this from happening is greatly appreciated!

#5 Tim55253

Tim55253

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

I had the same problem too, but through a little bit of googling, I found out that AVG had the same false positives some time ago. I probably wouldn't have been as paranoid if Avast servers weren't down. Sad thing is ... I ran a virus scan and moved alot of .HTML files into my virus chest, and now they are nowhere to be found. Hopefully those weren't anything of vital importance.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

and now they are nowhere to be found.

You checked under the Avast User Interface > Maintenance > Virus Chest?

If so and they were`t there then you may want to change the Action settings for the Real-Time Shields.
For each one you have running go to Expert Settings > Actions and change the 3 options to the type and order of your choice.

#7 Tim55253

Tim55253

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:48 PM

Yeah, its weird, cause SOME of the files are there, but I remember it moving ALOT more files to the virus chest.

#8 Claytronic

Claytronic

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Weird, I was just browsing Tumblr (a legit blogging website that I have never had any issues with before) and when I went to click on a user's profile, Avast yelled at me, said it blocked something, and I clicked to see what it was:

Posted Image

"Avast saved your computer from crashing"
"you just dodged a bullet"
"you may have wondered how you ended up with a virus"

A tad contradictory, eh? lol
Doing a scan anyways

#9 JackP45

JackP45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Avast are trying to help me.  I was advised to use 'combofix' and that seemed to work until I did another full scan.  The virus reappeared and the warnings continued.  I have sought help from Avast again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users