Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Freezes after I login

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 octoberWind73

octoberWind73

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Sorry in advance for the long post. PC specs are in my signature. I'm going to paste my questions at the top in case you fall asleep in the middle of my post.

Question #1: Do you have any suggestions for me on how to track down/eliminate this freeze problem? As of now my plan is to reinstall *every* driver that appears in the device manager (maybe a handful a day). I just don't know what else to do.

Question #2: Should I download the "SiS UniVGA3 graphics driver" (R393_logo.zip version 3.93) from the SiS website or should I use the "nVidia Unified Graphics Driver Update" from the compaq/hp site? (This question will make more sense if you can make it through my post).

Background: My parents have had this Compaq Presario since 2005. Just recently they have signed up for DSL service. I have spent the last few weeks attempting to upgrade and install software on their PC. In addition, I have attempted to remove all of the trial-ware (bloat-ware?) that came with the PC. I encountered several problems. The largest and most frustrating problem was upgrading to XP SP3. I was blindly using auto-updates and didn't realize there was an issue with AMD processors. After many reboots and a couple of system restores, XP Service Pack 3 is installed. I *think* I'm about done with all of the main installs and updates to this computer. I should note, before I came along the pc only had one user named "Compaq_Owner". After the Service Pack 3 fiasco, I created 3 other users. One for myself and 2 for my parents (So a total of 4 users now). When I boot into safemode there is a 5th user named "Administrator".

Problem Description: I power up the PC in the morning, I log into my account, and within a couple of minutes the PC freezes. I can almost always trigger it by clicking Start->All Programs...the menu window for All Programs pops up but has no text on it. You can hear the PC chuggin' away, but no text ever appears. I can hover my cursor over the items in my system tray (I think that is the correct name) and the help text pops up (current time and date Or ZoneAlarm for example). But the pc continues chugging away, the All Programs menu is still up with no text. Start->All Programs isn't the only way to get the pc to freeze. If I don't click Start->All Programs then the pc will still freeze. Sometimes it will freeze when I open Opera. Sometimes it will freeze as I am using Opera. Sometimes I will walk away from the computer after I login (nothing has been opened) and when I return the computer is frozen.

When the freezing occurs I can press cntr+alt+del and the task manager pops up. The Task Manager window is only responsive for one or two clicks. After a couple of clicks the Task Manager window freezes.

After the pc freezes I hold down the power button and turn off the computer. I turn the computer back on and everything works like a charm. I can watch videos on Hulu and YouTube. I can download and install software. I can reboot the computer and it works fine. The PC will work for the rest of the day without freezing.

Now I'm going to list some things I have attempted in order to fix the freeze problem.

Fix Attempt #1:

1) After the initial freeze ups I checked the Event Viewer and noticed an error around the time the freeze up occured

"The e+ 48U Scanner service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I attempted to uninstalled the scanner using "Add Or Remove Programs". The scanner was removed from the "Add Or Remove Programs" list but still appeared in the start menu (the program could still be started). I re-installed the scanner using the CD that it came with, then I uninstalled it. Again, the scanner was removed from the "Add Or Remove Programs" list but still appeared in the start menu. Out of frustration I installed CCleaner and used CCleaner to remove the program.

After spending some time reading your website it appears that was a bad idea (I shouldn't be screwing with the registry).

2) I disabled all auto updates on all programs except for Avast. Windows autoupdates, Adobe Reader X, IE8 were all disabled. I was grasping at straws with this step.

3) I performed a boot time virus scan using Avast. It found some Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and some infection. I moved everything to the Chest.

4) I ran a *Full* scan using Malwarebytes. It found 4 infections (Quarantined and deleted successfully).

5) I defrag'd the HDD

At this point the pc was still freezing in the morning.

Fix Attempt #2:

1) I cleaned out my PC case as described in this tutorial-> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

2) While the PC case was still off, I powered up the PC an verified that all of the fans are working.

3) I updated the driver for my monitor as outlined in this tutorial-> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

My hope was to also uninstall my current graphics adapter driver and install a new driver but I am a little confused (and tired). After some google magic I find the SiS website. I am ready to download their drivers but the SiS site warns me that I should get my drivers from my PC manufacturer. I goto the Compaq website (http://www.compaq.com/cpq-country/cpq_support.html), enter my computer number (SR1010Z) and the only driver they offer for download is "nVidia Unified Graphics Driver Update".

At this point I'm kinda mumbling to myself in disgust. The sticker on my computer reads "Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics". In the Device Manager the Display Adapter is listed as "SiS 760". The **assumptions** I am making are as follows:

"Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics" == "SiS 760"

"Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics" != "nVidia"

"SiS 760" != "nVidia"

Question #1: Do you have any suggestions for me on how to track down/eliminate this freeze problem? As of now my plan is to reinstall *every* driver that appears in the device manager (maybe a handful a day). I just don't know what else to do.

Question #2: Should I download the SiS UniVGA3 graphics driver (R393_logo.zip version 3.93) from the SiS website or should I use the "nVidia Unified Graphics Driver Update" from the compaq/hp site?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Compaq Presario SR1010Z (PU166AV) -- CPU: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+, 1.808GHz -- RAM: 1 x 512MB DDR-400B, 200MHz (PC3200), NOTE: 64MB used by GFX -- MOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC., K8S-LA (Salmon) -- HDD: Western Digital, 160 GB, SATA -- GFX: Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics (SiS 760) -- PSU: HIPRO HP-D3057F3R, 300W -- Network: PC to 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway (Ethernet) -- OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3 -- Browser: Opera -- Anti-Virus: Avast! (free) -- Anti-Spyware: Malwarebytes (free) -- Firewall: ZoneAlarm (free)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,061 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

Use the correct Compaq drivers...they made the system and are responsible for driver support. I suggeest uninstalling the old drivers before installing the new, since the old/current ones may be damaged and not respond as expected when just replacing via the update option.

There are many causes for system freezes. I like to eliminate overheating...before proceeding on to other suspects.

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Download SpeedFan - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Louis

#3 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:23 AM

Thank you for your response.

Use the correct Compaq drivers...they made the system and are responsible for driver support. I suggeest uninstalling the old drivers before installing the new, since the old/current ones may be damaged and not respond as expected when just replacing via the update option.

I uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, and installed the nVidia drivers from the Compaq/HP site.

After adjusting my screen resolution I seem to be back to "normal".

There are many causes for system freezes. I like to eliminate overheating...before proceeding on to other suspects.

Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Download SpeedFan - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Louis

I have downloaded and installed both applications. The PC has been running for around 2 hours. CoreTemp is reporting a temp of around 37 degrees C. SpeedFan is reporting the following info:

Fan1	2482 RPM
Fan2	1263 RPM
CPU	  33 C
Ambient	  38 C
Remote	   0 C
HD0	  39 C
Temp1	  40 C
Core	  37 C

CoreTemp appears to be logging the data. However, I don't know how to access it. If you would like me to generate a log, report, or screenshot of some type then let me know.

The PC locked up on me three times in a row this morning. Three times in a row is very unusual, normally it is one freeze/reboot and it works fine. The three freeze ups happened before I executed any of your recommendations. After the third freeze up I booted into Safe Mode and worked there for about 15 or 20 minutes. After that I booted into Windows like I normally do and have had no problems.

Thanks again and I look forward to any recommendations you may have.

Brian
Compaq Presario SR1010Z (PU166AV) -- CPU: AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+, 1.808GHz -- RAM: 1 x 512MB DDR-400B, 200MHz (PC3200), NOTE: 64MB used by GFX -- MOBO: ASUSTek Computer INC., K8S-LA (Salmon) -- HDD: Western Digital, 160 GB, SATA -- GFX: Integrated SiS Mirage2 Graphics (SiS 760) -- PSU: HIPRO HP-D3057F3R, 300W -- Network: PC to 2Wire 2701HG-B Gateway (Ethernet) -- OS: Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3 -- Browser: Opera -- Anti-Virus: Avast! (free) -- Anti-Spyware: Malwarebytes (free) -- Firewall: ZoneAlarm (free)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,061 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

Those temps look OK to me...I just wanted to eliminate possible overheating as an issue.

Since you uninstalled the old drivers and installed anew...and have no problems since then...it may have well been a damaged drivers issue.

Keep an eye on it...let us know if you have any more problems :).

Louis

#5 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

Good morning,

I had to move the physical location of the PC yesterday evening. When I booted it up the PC froze. The PC froze again when I booted it up this morning.

I checked the Event Viewer and it listed 3 errors that occurred today when I logged in.

6:51:45 AM, Source: Service Control Manager
The e+ 48U Scanner service failed to start due to the following error: 
The system cannot find the file specified.

6:51:55 AM, Source: DCOM
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

6:51:56 AM, Source: DCOM
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

When the clock on the desktop read 6:53 am the PC was frozen. I rebooted the PC and I have not had any freezes up to this point in time. However I see 4 errors in the Event Viewer. The 1st one deals with the uninstalled e+ 48U scanner (as mentioned above). The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th deal with WSearch.

A note about WSearch. At or around the time I upgraded to XP SP 3 a program called Windows Search was installed on the PC. This program was causing constant activity on my HDD and annoyed the heck out of me. I attempted to disable it by opening "My Computer" and right clicking on my C: (and later D:) drives. I selected "Properties". On the window that opened I *Unselected* "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching". In addition I opened msconfig and under "Services" I unselected Windows Search. Then under "Startup" I unselected Windows Search.

Between then and now I have used msconfig to enable/disable several Services and Startup items. Currently msconfig is set for a Selective Startup as opposed to Normal Startup. Currently under Startup, Windows Search is selected. Currently under Services, Windows Search is unselected. I don't know why I did something stupid like that and now I'm wondering what other "brilliant" things I've done.

I think I should probably switch from Selective Startup to Normal Startup in the General section of msconfig.

What I am going to do:
1) Select Normal Startup in MSCONFIG
2) Download and install some of the other drivers as the Compaq Website for my PC model

As always, if you or anyone has any comments or suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2011 - 07:14 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,061 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:24 AM

IMO, Windows Search 4.0 is unnecessary in XP and causes problems for some. I suggest uninstalling it via Add/Remove Programs.

Anytime a peripheral such as a acanner or printer causes problems...I suggest uninstalling it and all associated software...then reinstalling same. It's possible that key files are damaged and result in O/S problems.

Louis

If you really would like a desktop search utility, you may want to look at Everything Search Engine.

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#7 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

Yesterday morning I:
1) Configured msconfig to normal startup
2) Uninstalled Windows Search 4.0
3) Installed Java 6 Update 24 (System is set to remind me once a month)

When I booted up this morning the PC froze.

After a reboot I reinstalled the e+ 48U scanner (and plan to uninstall).

I did not have the opportunity to download and install the drivers I mentioned yesterday. Sorry for the delay. Resolving this issue is important to me (and I know that you have better things to could be doing).

The drivers listed on the website are as follows:

Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem Driver Update
HP Multimedia Keyboard/Mouse Driver Update

I'll install those sometime today. Tomorrow I will provide an update.

Brian

#8 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:20 AM

Good Morning,

I installed the drivers listed on the Compaq website (one for the keyboard and the other for the dial-up modem). I also successfully uninstalled the scanner. There are no errors listed in the Event Viewer.

Yesterday evening and this morning the PC froze.

Any suggestions?

Brian

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,061 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

I would start considering malware as a possible factor...and post anew in the http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html '>Am I Infected Forum.

Louis

#10 octoberWind73

octoberWind73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

Sorry for the bump but I wanted to give an update.

My plan was to post in the "Am I Infected" section but something happened after I had the last computer freeze. I checked the Event Viewer and saw an error for the scanner that I had uninstalled. I was very frustrated because I had reinstalled and uninstalled that scanner/scanner software many times.

After a couple of beers, I ended up running a full system recovery (reformatted the HDD). This course of action eliminated the freezing. This particular computer didn't come with installation discs (you generate your own restore discs after you buy the PC). So I was fearful of blowing away the hard-drive (especially since the computer belongs to my parents). In any event, thank you again for your time and help.

Brian

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,061 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback, glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users