Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search redirects in Google, Yahoo, Bing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#31 photomagic247

photomagic247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hi Myrti,

What CD are you asking about?
I have listed all that I have before. My windowsXP came preinstalled so I do not have a windows disc.

Again, the discs I do have are:

1-Compaq Recovery Disc 1 of 2
2-Compaq Recovery Disc 2 of 2 both dated 2/2007
3-CDRW Boot Disc for update sp26247 dated 7/2007
4-PC-DOCTOR bootable diagnostic CD dated 2/2007
and of course I now have the X-PUD disc you had me burn.

I just looked and it has been two weeks since I started this post! And that's not counting the time I spent on the "am I infected" thread before being sent here. yikes! Whatever got me, got me good! But the combofix bug didn't help things either.
Boy, my luck has been really bad trying to get my work desktop fixed . . . I am getting really bummed. If I had the money I would go out and buy a new computer but alas not the case.

Hopefully awaiting your next steps . . .

Thanks,
Ramona

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 photomagic247

photomagic247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

Hi Myrti,

It's been two days since your last reply.
Did I do something wrong?
I know you must be busy with the forums and helping others but I was really hoping to save my computer from this Combofix "bug" mess.
I am a photographer and need my desktop for downloading and editing my sessions.

Anyway, thank you for your past assistance, I really appreciate it.

I just wanted to let you know that my (know-it-all) EX-husband came by today while I was having a hissy fit over my (unusable) computer and he took matters into his own hands. He is a computer programmer and took over the whole mess. He ended up using the Compaq Recovery Discs. It reinstalled windows. I had to update winxp for HOURS. Just spent hour upon hour reinstalling all my programs, bookmarks, antivirus and updating updating updating.
Is this what you were saying to do??

I wish we could have saved all my programs, etc. Was hoping for a better result but I do appreciate your help.
Two weeks without my computer has been torture. At least it is back up and running.
Thanks again.

#33 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 31,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hi,

no what I wanted you to do would have been called a repair install, basically it would have overwritten all the windows files with the version from the CD, but left everything lese, meaning your personal data and the installed programs in place.

We'd never ask you to overwrite your personal data without warning you of the risk of loosing data before hand.

I'm sorry to hear that this is how it ended, I was unable to get online on Sunday due to travels.

Please read these advices, in order to prevent reinfecting your PC:

• Install and update the following programs regularly:
    • an outbound firewall
      A comprehensive tutorial and a list of possible firewalls can be found here.
    • an AntiVirus Software
      It is imperative that you update your AntiVirus Software on regular basis.If you do not update your AntiVirus Software then it will not be able to catch the latest threats.
    • an Anti-Spyware program
      Malware Byte's Anti Malware is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner. It's scan times are usually under ten minutes, and has excellent detection and removal rates.
      SUPERAntiSpyware is another good scanner with high detection and removal rates.
      Both programs are free for non commercial home use but provide a resident and do not nag if you purchase the paid versions.
    • Spyware Blaster
      A tutorial for Spywareblaster can be found here. If you wish, the commercial version provides automatic updating.
    • MVPs hosts file
      A tutorial for MVPs hosts file can be found here. If you would like automatic updates you might want to take a look at HostMan host file manager. For more information on thehosts file, and what it can do for you,please consult the Tutorial on the Hosts file
  • Keep Windows (and your other Microsoft software) up to date!
    I cannot stress how important this is enough. Often holes are found in Internet Explorer or Windows itself that require patching. Sometimes these holeswill allow an attacker unrestricted access to your computer.
    Therefore, please, visit the Microsoft Update Website and follow the on screen instructions to setup Microsoft Update. Also follow the instructions to update your system. Please REBOOT and repeat this process until there are no more updates to install!!
  • Keep your other software up to date as well
    Software does not need to be made by Microsoft to be insecure. You can use the Secunia Online Software occasionally to help you check for out of date software on yourmachine.
  • Stay up to date!
    The MOST IMPORTANT part of any security setup is keeping the software up to date. Malware writers release new variantsevery single day. If your software updates don't keep up, then the malware will always be one step ahead. Not a good thing :(.
Some more links you might find of interest:
Have a nice day
myrti

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM!
Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

sig3.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#34 photomagic247

photomagic247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thank you Myrti for all the info.
I sure wish we could have taken care of this and not had to wipe out my systems and start new.

I TOLD my ex you mentioned a REPAIR install but . . ahem . . you know how men are! :(
His words were (and I quote) "What's the worst that could happen?? Having to start all over?? BIG DEAL!".

And of course he left as soon as we realized I had to reinstall EVERYTHING. Grrrrrr . . .

Again thanks for all the info, I am slowly reading through it all.
Have a great day!! :)
Ramona

#35 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 31,811 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hi,

you might want to look into creating a backup in that case. If it works correclty, next time you have to reinstall you can do so from the backup and it'll give you a PC with all the stuff you had installed at the time of the backup.

Hope you have a great week!

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM!
Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

sig3.png

#36 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 31,811 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

sig3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users