Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 4: "Please match requested format"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeHS

MikeHS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Just installed Firefox 4 (upgraded from 3.6.16) on HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 7 64 bit. So far all operations are working fine with one exception: when I attempt login on my bank's site I get a message from Firefox I've never seen before. The bank's site, like all others, requires a user ID and a password; I've successfully used the same page with all previous versions of Firefox (from 3.6.6) and Internet Explorer. Now, when I type in the user ID, the box ourline turns red; the same thing happens when I type in the password. Hitting Enter or clicking on the go button results in a message balloon containing the phrase, "Please match the requested format" with the balloon's tail attached to the user ID box. No other action occurs; repeated click or Enter attempts produce the same result. I am able to successfully enter the user ID and password using Internet Explorer, so I'm pretty sure this is a Firefox 4 issue only. All other secure and nonsecure login web sites (credit cards, broker, email, forums, etc.) are negotiated successfully. I've submitted the problem to the Firefox community forum but have received no replies in 3 days (I note, however that 3 other people report the same problem). Anybody here seen anything like this, or have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,751 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

I used FF4 for a few days and there were simply too many things that didn't work as expected for me. Switched back to 3.6 for the time being. You might want to do the same.

#3 MikeHS

MikeHS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of on the bubble, so to speak. This is the only problem I've had with 4, but it's serious enough that I'm leaning toward that option. Still no replies on the Firefox site, and the count of people with this problem is steadily going up. I'll give them a few more days before pulling the plug.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Googling the issue, it looks like not only some FF4 users are having same issue, but Chrome users as well.
It doesn't happen on my FF4.

Try this: http://support.mozilla.com/rm/questions/769919

Also...
Close Firefox. Go Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox, click on Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Same issue?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

Mike, If you posted your problem at Mozillazine.org forum, I would not expect any help. I would report this directly to Mozilla by clicking on the Firefox button/help/submit feedback. Mozillazine is really not affiliated with Mozilla as a support site.

#6 MikeHS

MikeHS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

I posted my question on the firefox.com site, in the support section. Still no replies but there are more people with the problem.

But, there's good news and there's bad news:

The bad news is that I can no longer help troubleshoot the problem for the other folks who have the problem.

The good news is that it went away. I mean just disappeared. It no longer happens.

At first I thought I had fixed it. I was looking at the list of plugins, as they are often the source of problems with Firefox, and noticed there were two Microsoft Office 10 plugins installed and enabled. I had previously uninstalled, and with the help of the good folks on this site, completely removed the bleeping Office 10 teaser HP had installed but apparently these two plugins got left behind. I disabled them and checked the login issue, and lo and behold, it was fixed - the login was successful without the 'requested format' message. Eureka!

I then went to the wife's Toshiba laptop, which had the same problem, to disable the plugins there also (one difference - the regular uninstall of Office 10 on her computer had been successful). Guess what - there were no Office 10 plugins. I then checked the login function to ensure the problem still existed, and it was gone on her computer as well.

So, I went back to my HP, enabled the plugins and found the login still worked. Today, after full shutdowns and cold boots on both machines, the problem is still gone, so I'm saying it's fixed. I have no idea why. Maybe the trick is to just go look at the plugins. Don't do anything, just open the page and look at them. :blink:

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

Gremlins? :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users