Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failure critical error

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Vick Broo

Vick Broo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:54 AM

Hi!
I have a problem with my computer. I've red an other topic (but I can't find it anymore) and it seems to mee that I have a virus.
I can not acces any files or programs. After starting I get Windows recovery which I've never seen before (could be me but I'm not sure)
It detects this mistakes and can not fix them if I upgrade it should be able to fix my problems.
- 39% of HDD space is unrreadable
- boot sector of hard drive disk is damaged
- hard drive doesn't respond to system commands
- read time of hard drive clusters less than 500 ms
- bad sectors on hard drive or damaged file on allocation table
Then I got these warnings too:
Down besides the time pops up a window saying: Hard drive critical error. Run diagnostic utility. Check hard disk drive for errors. Windows can't find hard disk space. Hard drive error.
In the screen I get:
Hard drive failure. The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE/SATA hard disks. It is recommended that you restart the system.

After restarting same problems.

Besides my computer is in Dutch and all these errors are in English.

Is there some one that can help me or tell me what to do please?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hello it does sound like this malware, if it's not the real HDD death.

Please follow our Removal Guide here Remove Hard Drive Diagnostic .
After reading how the malware is misleading you ...
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Edited by boopme, 23 March 2011 - 08:43 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#3 Vick Broo

Vick Broo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi Boopme,
Thanks for your reply it was an adware. A friend of mine helped me with installing windows again... Formatted the old one. We couldn't find how to run a program to catch this virus. But luckily all my files were saved thanks to ubuntu (I think that was the name)
Thanks!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,648 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for letting us know Vick :thumbup2:
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Why did you reformat your hard drive? Seeing that rogues are some of the most pain-in-the-butt malware, they can look unbeatable, but really they're not. You would have been fine after following the removal guide here. You just made the entire process harder on yourself.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#6 Vick Broo

Vick Broo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Aha okay... :mellow: Well it did was a lot of work :whistle: so next time I'll read the instructions better.

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

My view is that you should always try to remove things first before going to drastic measures.

#8 erynz

erynz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hi everyone,

I've tried this tonite and its works...amazing...i am so worried because i'm using company's laptop.then i follow step by step and now everythings back to normal..thank u so much for the wonderful info...

#9 remembervox

remembervox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

I am also having this problem however when I try to run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware it says i must reboot before it can fully install. I can't reboot without having the malware reactivate and kill the installation. I have no idea what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,648 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

You need to re run RKill every tome you reboot.

#11 jng86

jng86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hello,

I have the same problem but I can't get to Malwarebytes (I do have it installed). It won't let me access to anything on the computer. The desktop is all black with no icons. When I try to click on START > ALL PROGRAMS, it is empty. Is there any other way for me to start Malwarebytes?

#12 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

You should begin a new thread as to avoid confusion.

#13 Deeplex

Deeplex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:15 AM

I had this on the weekend with the black screen and empty programs list.

I was able to get rid of it through following these instructions and downloading the files on another computer. I then ran RKill off a usb and then copied the other files to the desktop and ran them from there.

Since getting my computer working again I have had a problem with flash being disabled - it says it is currently running with adds on disabled but when I go to the add ons manager it says everything is enabled. Also, when going all programs - and then to say microsoft or something else, it says the folders are empty.

Does anyone know how to get these back to normal?

#14 mellysapelle

mellysapelle

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

I seem to have the same problem. Black screen, all my programs missing. I can't even open the internet! I saved RKill onto a USB - took forever to open it on my computer (kept telling me "Install failure") but I finally got to the black screen. Now the black screen says "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" 11 times, and I can no longer move my mouse, or anything else. I have tried every version of RKill available - and it is just not working. I can't get past the black screen (It has been open about 30 minutes now, does it just take longer than that??) Any help or advice you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I just have no idea what else to do now - as these instructions seem to have worked for everyone else!

#15 mellysapelle

mellysapelle

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

So I FINALLY got RKIll to work - and ran malwarebytes anti-malware. No more hard drive messages - and got all my folders back! Yay! Only problem is that now I seem to have a google redirect virus - every time I open up a search engine and try to click on anything I get redirected. Any ideas on how to get rid of this? McAfee, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are not catching it.

Edited by mellysapelle, 17 June 2011 - 10:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users