Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS L702x memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue99

darkblue99

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

I have just purchased a Dell XPS L702x laptop, but I think should've got one with more memory. I have 4096MB (2x2GB) 1333 MHz Dual Channel memory, and there are two spare slots, four in all.

I'm not 100% sure which is the correct memory to buy to upgrade. Dell look like they're selling 4GB memory modules for the XPS 17 laptop which would do the trick: Dell Memory. Are those memory modules actually any different to something like Kingston Memory or Corsair Memory for example? Is there any particular brand that is better than most of the others? What does Dual Channel mean? Is that some sort of special memory, or is it just any pair of memory modules?

If I removed the two 2GB 1333MHz memory modules and replaced them, would it be better to use memory modules with a clock speed higher than 1333MHz, or would that not be compatible with the system since the original memory modules were 1333MHz? I must sound like a complete idiot :wacko: but I just don't want to end up buying something that won't work and having to return it. If anyone can answer any of my questions and point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:57 PM

The Dell memory are pretty much the same. Kingston, Corsair, G.Skill, Patriot etc are quality made ram. It most likely won't be compatible.

>Michael ~ Got my Katy Perry Australian concert ticket :3 
System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Asus HD6950 1GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2300+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

If I removed the two 2GB 1333MHz memory modules and replaced them, would it be better to use memory modules with a clock speed higher than 1333MHz, or would that not be compatible with the system since the original memory modules were 1333MHz?

It might work. But you would get no gain from it. The memory would automatically be under clocked to 1333 by the motherboard BIOS.

Both brands you listed are quality brands.

While mismatching memory, keeping the OEM Dell and adding either the Kingston or the Corsair may work, I would stick with one manufacturer for all the RAM. Whether you buy more from Dell to add to your existing memory or completely swap it out with Kingston or Corsair.

What does Dual Channel mean? Is that some sort of special memory, or is it just any pair of memory modules?

Dual channel basically means there are two pipelines, so to speak, to transfer data to and from the memory.

As opposed to one on single channel.

Edited by ThunderZ, 15 March 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#4 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the responses. The Corsair and Kingston memory seems fairly cheap, so I may get 16GB of one brand and sell the 4GB of Dell memory on eBay. One more silly question; the Corsair Memory has listed under specifications Timing: 9-9-9-24. What does that mean? The Kingston Memory has Latency Timings CL9. Is that just a different way of saying 9-9-9-24, or is one superior to the other?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users