Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

program_error_updating (12152, 0, WinHttpReceiveResponse)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pmillerbd

pmillerbd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

I am trying to remove the system tool virus per instructions found here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-tool#files

I cannot get Malwarebytes Anit-Malware program to update. I get error program_error_updating (12152, 0, WinHttpReceiveResponse)

Current database version is 5363. I was able to download and update the program on another PC, which is now at database version 5910 so it appears an update is necessary

I'm currently booted in Safe Mode with Networking. However, I cannot get to the Internet with IE, iTunes, the Malwarebytes update, etc. so Networking doesn't appear to be working. I know the network itself is working because I'm posting this message on my 2nd computer connected to the same wireless network.

I am very much a novice at this, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

If malware is blocking you from updating, then manually download the database definitions from one of the following locations (they may not be the most current as manual updates are behind in version level compared to updates from within the program) and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install:If necessary, download to a clean computer, save mbam-rules.exe to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine.

Note: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware database definitions file (mbam-rules.exe) is not updated daily. Another way to get the most current definitions if you're having problems updating through the program's interface or have already manually downloaded the latest definitions, is to do the following:

Install MBAM on a clean computer, launch the program and update through MBAM's interface. Copy this definitions file (rules.ref) to a USB stick or CD and transfer that file to the infected machine. Copy rules.ref to the location indicated for your operating system. If you cannot see the folder, then you may have to Reconfigure Windows to show it.
  • XP,Windows 2000, 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Vista, Windows 7, 2008: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 1,171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

quietman7 is right, malware on your system is very likely preventing updates for MBAM.

FYI:
Error code 12152 is ERROR_WINHTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE: The server response cannot be parsed.
Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com
Microsoft MVP 2011-2014 Consumer Security
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users